Netbooks and external monitors for video
    Tech Convert

Default Netbooks and external monitors for video

I have a Dell full size laptop and a Toshiba minibook. I use VDJ most of the time.

I don't have any problems on my Dell projecting to an external monitor in extend mode.

However on my mini book this does not seem to be an option. I can only duplicate. Is this common on all mini or net books? It's impossible to set up the next set if I'm in duplicate mode.

So - do I ditch the mini book or is there a work around? I'd really like to use my mini on these gigs. I bought it just for this pourpose and only loaded DJ/KJ software on it to keep it unencumbered. I don't need it for anything else. I'll never sell it for what I paid for it.

I placed this question on the Toshiba forum - three weeks later - no answer.

Anyone?

Thanks!
    How can your life change is you don't change?

You really thought it would be a good idea to try to use a netbook to hook up to a projector to VJ with? That's like the last thing you want to use for video, the integrated video is so tiny it can't handle extending to another monitor, not to mention the other issues you would have trying to run video software on one.

Guess it depends on the graphics card, tried updating the drivers/installing manufacturer software?

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    You really thought it would be a good idea to try to use a netbook to hook up to a projector to VJ with? That's like the last thing you want to use for video, the integrated video is so tiny it can't handle extending to another monitor, not to mention the other issues you would have trying to run video software on one.
    A friend of mine actually used his netbook with virtual dj with video, don't know what model, but it seemed to work out quite alright for him...

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    When I use it in duplicate mode it does just fine (you need more info for this to make sense). I just don't want it in duplicate mode for obvious reasons.

OK - more info: The place I'm using this laptop for has a horrible large screen set up for me to plug into. They are using a very old projection screen setup. No matter how nice my set up would be - it's going to be a hint blurry. No matter what. So, quality is not my number one concern. I host karaoke there and it's just for projecting the words onto the large screen for the audience. I have a smaller LCD TV (17") monitor for the singers - and that actually has a great resolution with the minibook- works just great for that. For the rare video I play during slow times, people seem happy enough with what the bar has to offer.

Not having it in duplicate and being able to use it in extend mode is the issue... not quality... this time.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by koffa View Post
    Guess it depends on the graphics card, tried updating the drivers/installing manufacturer software?
    No. I'll try that. It would be nice if Toshiba would respond to my help request. I've sent an email to the tech people and left a post on the forum. Ho-Hum.

Thanks!

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by koffa View Post
    A friend of mine actually used his netbook with virtual dj with video, don't know what model, but it seemed to work out quite alright for him...

Sounds encouraging. Maybe there is hope for me.