Possibly Buying Macbook Pro soon!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Possibly Buying Macbook Pro soon!

Hey guys 'n' gals of DJ Tech Tools

I'm currently planning on moving to Istanbul w/ my girl & need to downsize on stuff. Figured i've got no choice but to sell my Pc setup as its a bit of a beast & the main Pc weighs literally 20kg so not Flight friendly!
    So going to sell it along with my laptop, after backing everything up & thinking of purchasing a Macbook Pro.

Specifically the 15", 2.4ghz quadcore i7, 4gb 1333mhz ddr3 sdram, 750gb 7200rpm, Hi-res Antiglare.

£1674.16 exculding VAT...

I added the hi-res & antiglare for £120 & also the 750gb 7200rpm hdd for £40.

Reason i've not added VAT is due to a friend that works at the Uni & is able to get a discount of 20% which pretty much equats to the vat!

So the question to you Mac guys.

Is it really worth nearly £1700 for the above ?

Do you guys feel safe with them at gigs ?

What do you do to keep them safe ?

Is apple care purchasable after you've bought it ? Is it worth it ?
    I don't think I can afford the nearly £300 for it when I have the money for the mbp, but can probably afford it say 6 months after.

Any idea of Insurance for DJ gear that covers laptops & rough guide prices ?

Going from a beast of a pc & a pretty good laptop to a 15" macbook pro is going to be very strange. I've got no clue about Mac. I'm sure its going to be worth it in the end though. At least thats what I keep telling myself!

Thanks for any words of wisdom.

Peace
    Macbook Pro 2011, Pioneer DJM 750mk2, 2xTechnics SL-1200mk2, Dicers, Ortofon Concorde Scratch,
    Yamaha HS50M & HS10W, Sennheiser Amperior w/Custom Cans wrapped cable.
    Torq 2.0.3, Traktor 2.81 Rekordbox 5.2
    http://www.thankphat.com

i have the exact same one.
    Best decision i made. I can run everything at once. Use it at gigs, home, work, doesnt matter. get apple care. i baby mine. i bought a sleeve for it and keep it in a case when i go out and gig with it.
    Beatslicing for the bitches

Thats a beast of a Mac! With those specs it will do anything IMO. Yes its very expensive, but it would be if you upgrade it through Apple. You could maybe get the standard MBP which will cost a lot less, and then upgrade the hardware yourself, and save some cash.

I'm not sure about the Anti-glare display, I have the standard display, and I don't have any problems with it in or out the club. I would also strongly suggest getting the Apple care as soon as you can afford it. I think Apple gives you 12 months to purchase it. DO IT, YOU WON"T REGRET IT!

As for protection, I bought an awesome slim padded sleeve, and my Mac doesn't go anywhere outside the house without it! I value my Mac so much I hardly even let my fiance touch it! I use it for everything, business, gigs, etc and it does everything. Its also not difficult to use at all, it took me a cpl of days to get the in an outs of it, and I was a-away...

Whatever Mac you decide to purchase, you will love it I assure you.

Buy the standard MBP, upgrade it yourself and save some cash, and get the Apple care! Cheers.
    2013 MBPr 13" | X1 mk2 | TSP 2 | A6 | DJM 900 nexus | HD 25 UBER Aluminum's | Technics sl1210 mk2's | Logic Pro 9

They're amazing; they're worth it; I feel safe; and it cuddles me to sleep at night.

I'm half kidding about the last one, but when it's asleep, the status light mimics a breathing pattern. Some think it's creepy…I think it's a nice touch.

I'd suggest one change. Get an SSD if you can possibly afford it and know how to use a screwdriver. They're insane. I won't have another computer without one. But it's worth the size constraints for me (using a 120GB Mercury Extreme Pro 6G from OWC, aka macsales.com) because they don't make laptop hard drives big enough for me to store everything, and if I can't have everything, I might as well be selective about what I carry with me. Apple's SSD upgrades are insanely over priced and kinda slow drives unless they've changed a lot since this spring.

And be sure you want a 15" laptop. I think they're huge…but I still miss the 12" powerbooks. I think my 13" is a bit on the big side. Again…if it's not a 25"+ screen, it might as well be 12.

And, yes, you can buy AppleCare at any point before the warranty runs out. It's totally worth it, IMHO. Apple's warranty is pretty darn good.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Lots of good things i'm hearing so far.

@mostapha: i'm sure 15" is the way forward. I've got a 17" now & thats nice but too big.
    But to go from a pc with 3 monitors, 2x 19", 1x 22"ws & a 17" laptop even just to a 15" is going to feel very constrained.

The 13" didn't come in Quadcore! I'm considering getting a SSD at some point next year when the prices have dropped more & taking out the CD drive & then have dual hdd's.
    Macbook Pro 2011, Pioneer DJM 750mk2, 2xTechnics SL-1200mk2, Dicers, Ortofon Concorde Scratch,

Tech Mentor

Haha, I want to comment about you are moving to Istanbul as it is my hometown. Nightlife is great especially in Taksim. I hope you will have fun there man.

Tech Mentor

Off-Topic but why are you moving to Istanbul?

The upgrade to the SSD is well worth any other sacrifices you have to make IMHO. My dual-core i5 can easily run anything I throw at it, and I get annoyed if it takes more than 10 seconds to boot up to a password prompt. But, to each his own.

I'd upgrade to an SSD long before I'd do a ram upgrade, for example. Just don't skimp on the SSD…a lot of the cheaper ones are using old controller chips that have problems. Mercury and high-end OCZ is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkAboutIt View Post
    Off-Topic but why are you moving to Istanbul?
    My girl is from there & has had to go back due to her visa ending in the UK.

I pretty much only tend to be busy in the Summer months in the UK with sound engineering & the odd event, so planning to work in Istanbul for 6 months & then come back to the UK for the summer, work some festivals, try & get some sets at a couple festivals & chill!

But we'll see what happens. Can't wait to get this beast of a MBP

Tech Mentor

Cool, my parents are living there and I'm studying in Vienna sadly only going there on holidays. Hope you have great time it's a wonderful place

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast