A question about key lock: how many of you use it?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default A question about key lock: how many of you use it?

I'll give you a little background as to why I'm asking this question: earlier this month i was going out with a buddy of mine for his bday, when i got to his house i found out he had a few other friends over one of which brought his DJ gear. Cool. Turns out he has been DJing for like 10 years and is doing a good job of it at the house.

Skip to the end of the night and for reasons which i won't get in to i'm now on the couch feeling kind of sick :P So my buddy decides to hop on the decks and with essentially little knowledge of Traktor is mixing up a storm with 0 problems of clashing keys. I can't move from the couch to get up and look but I'm thinking "ok, wtf? either all the songs the DJ friend has are in the same key or i'm missing something" So he's going at it for a good long while before another guy hops on, same result, again "wtf?" Finally a random girl decides to try it out and again same result. Now I'm actually rather annoyed cuz this is just way too easy. It takes me weeks to get just the right songs for a given mix sometimes, and these 3 are doing this all on the fly??

See I'm an Ableton guy, but I did dabble with Traktor when i was just starting and I seemed to recall talk of a function called key lock. With a little Googling turns out this is the case. My question is how many people actually use key lock when they mix? There is always the seemingly monthly thread about using "sync" to beatmatch and how this is clearly cheating blah blah blah, however it strikes me that if a bunch of randoms can hop on the decks and flawlessly harmonic mix, then how is key lock never discussed as being 10'xs worse than sync? I'm not saying it is or isn't "cheating" (my take on that has been if it sounds good, who cares?) but coming from someone who pretty much does every mix harmonically without that function and knowing how brutal that can be sometimes to find songs which fit the mood and actually go together key wise, I'm curious to know how many people are doing this. Is this standard or is it, like sync, a matter of personal preference? Because if 3 people with essentially no knowledge of the songs or Traktor can do it that easily, then I gotta be doing something wrong.

lolwut? Keylock doesn't harmonically mix for you. /troll

Maybe the 3 people were undercover DJ's...
    Macbook Pro 2011, Pioneer DJM 750mk2, 2xTechnics SL-1200mk2, Dicers, Ortofon Concorde Scratch,
    Yamaha HS50M & HS10W, Sennheiser Amperior w/Custom Cans wrapped cable.
    Torq 2.0.3, Traktor 2.81 Rekordbox 5.2
    http://www.thankphat.com

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Key lock has nothing to do with Harmonic DJing if you are not a DJ.
    If your friends , who are not actual DJs are mixing various BPMs and its sounds good its more likely that the music they are playing is in the same key or related keys, just like most music of certain genres are of a similar BPM.

Key locks just prevents the track sounding like Mickey Mouse.

Keylock is not discussed by sync moaning 'morons' because most of the sync moaning 'morons' come from using CDJs that have 'Master Tempo' which is the same as as 'Keylock'.
    That why they dont moan about it, cus its a legitimate "cheat" in their book.

Of course its not a cheat, its a stupendously obvious technology that should be used.

Moaning about KeyLock is like someone riding a bike without pneumatic tyres saying that people riding bikes with dunlops is cheating.

i have had it on since day 1 and dont plan on turning it off any time soon
    MBP / 8gb Ram / 1TB / SSL / Rane SL2 / HD25's / Dicers / Empty Bank Account

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    Moaning about KeyLock is like someone riding a bike without pneumatic tyres saying that people riding bikes with dunlops is cheating.
    Or riding a track bike in a city. Brakes were invented for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by brian_johnstone View Post
    i have had it on since day 1 and dont plan on turning it off any time soon
    Dito.

I keep hearing about people slurring over transients and hating the sound of key lock, and despite the fact that I've never heard it, I thought that was what this thread would be about.

As to the OP…they were DJs of some kind. Or they were being guided by somebody. If it takes you weeks to put together a set, I'd look seriously at how you're approaching things, because you just might not have it in you to DJ.

Also, I'll be impressed if this isn't a troll. I wouldn't be surprised if the OP doesn't know how to mix in Ableton without key lock.

Tech Mentor

You sure it was traktor and not this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46MdrCpf_0c

Quote Originally Posted by grazz16 View Post

Skip to the end of the night and for reasons which i won't get in to i'm now on the couch feeling kind of sick :P
    End of story...
    The MUSIC is what matters!
    Everything else is _________

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    Keylock is not discussed by sync moaning 'morons' because most of the sync moaning 'morons' come from using CDJs that have 'Master Tempo' which is the same as as 'Keylock'.
    That why they dont moan about it, cus its a legitimate "cheat" in their book.
    Of course its not a cheat, its a stupendously obvious technology that should be used.Moaning about KeyLock is like someone riding a bike without pneumatic tyres saying that people riding bikes with dunlops is cheating.
    Probably the best argument I've read on this so far. Pearls of wisdom Karl.
    356 reasons why

Tech Mentor

Made me laugh, i was thinking of someone lying on a sofa fucked out of their faces on md. listening to people mix going ahhhhhhhh mannn thats amazing your soooo goood. haa

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast