overclocking??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: overclocking??

Default overclocking??

just a thought, i run a hp laptop with 8gb ram, and i3, i know that gamers overclock all of the time and that it is apparently possible on a laptop, even if by a small amount. but will it make any real difference or is it even worth doing?
    MBP / 8gb Ram / 1TB / SSL / Rane SL2 / HD25's / Dicers / Empty Bank Account

scrap that i used the infamous search function and found a few answers http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/sho...ight=overclock
    MBP / 8gb Ram / 1TB / SSL / Rane SL2 / HD25's / Dicers / Empty Bank Account

Yeah, no way you want to overclock something like a laptop for djing which depends on stability. Stability is way more important than speed here.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

You can, it depends on the BIOS though, I'm pretty sure HP have theirs locked against over clocking. Not worth while really though unless you want to get into over clocking as a hobby, start watching your CPU/Graphics temps etc in your spare time

I'd focus more on getting windows stripped to its bare minimum, its more likely to help speed things up although with your spec everything should run like a charm.

Tech Mentor

From what I've seen, it seems that DJ software doesn't really run a computer that hard. I've been noodling with Traktor and VDJ demos on a MacBook with 4GB RAM and a 2.4gHz processor and I've never had a problem with speed. Are things running slow for you?

As xonetacular says stability is your main concern here if your using it for DJ'ing. Any i3 processor should be more than enough for anything DJ related you throw at it realistically. Check out some of DJ techtools articles on optimising windows for DJ'ing. Also, overclocking CPU's creates more heat, so you need to drive your fans harder to keep the CPU at optimum temperature. Risk of overheating is not something you want over your head in a club environment.

Ive only heard of gamers with massive PC's overclock, I don't see why any one using a laptop to DJ would need to overclock. Especially considering the limited amount of cooling that laptops get, I don't think it would last long with excess heat.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Kayzee View Post
    Ive only heard of gamers with massive PC's overclock,
    I have my workstation OC'ed to 4.5 with an i7 2600k. No games, all 3D design

Quote Originally Posted by G-sep View Post
    I have my workstation OC'ed to 4.5 with an i7 2600k. No games, all 3D design

Nice I actually got the same Processor in My desktop. Never thought 3d design took much cpu? Although I haven't used much 3d stuff only sketchup for wood working projects

OCing a laptop is crazy. If it's not in a good place, it's already getting hot pretty fast. Ok it might be more powerfull, but if it crashes or shuts down because of the heat after 15 mins, well, that can be annoying when performing live.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast