Yet one more "Am I Ready" thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Yet one more "Am I Ready" thread

Alright, there are way too many of these, I know, which is why I'm going to just cut to the chase. Been spinning for around 6 months using 2 Numark NDX400s and a craptastic Behringer VMX100 mixer, which is getting replaced soon with something a little nicer. No DDM4000, but at least I'll have Mid knobs now.

I've done a few house parties and while I have received multiple compliments on how I did, I know I'm not anywhere close to being hot sh!t yet. Do you think I would be ready to spin at a club as a guest DJ on a weeknight? I feel like I could get through it, but after reading brian_johnstone's rant about the d00sh who came in with a demo of VDJ, it made me wonder, as I don't wanna be that guy who comes in with his little CD players thinking he's all that. I'm saving like mad trying to get a VCI-100SE and a copy of Traktor, but there's still a way to go.

So should I wait till I get my mitts on my controller and then hit up a club, or do you think I could go about approaching a venue with my NDXs?

Thanks DJTT

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Sunshine View Post
    Alright, there are way too many of these, I know, which is why I'm going to just cut to the chase. Been spinning for around 6 months using 2 Numark NDX400s and a craptastic Behringer VMX100 mixer, which is getting replaced soon with something a little nicer. No DDM4000, but at least I'll have Mid knobs now.

I've done a few house parties and while I have received multiple compliments on how I did, I know I'm not anywhere close to being hot sh!t yet. Do you think I would be ready to spin at a club as a guest DJ on a weeknight? I feel like I could get through it, but after reading brian_johnstone's rant about the d00sh who came in with a demo of VDJ, it made me wonder, as I don't wanna be that guy who comes in with his little CD players thinking he's all that. I'm saving like mad trying to get a VCI-100SE and a copy of Traktor, but there's still a way to go.

So should I wait till I get my mitts on my controller and then hit up a club, or do you think I could go about approaching a venue with my NDXs?

Thanks DJTT
    Well why would you be bringing your gear to a club? Just mix on their pioneer CDJs and mixer if you know how to mix on CDJs and bring a CD book and some headphones. Go to guitar center and practice on their pioneer decks to get familiar.

Also switching to an all in one controller and Traktor if you want to start playing out in clubs is a poor move if you want to get taken seriously and immediately puts you on a 'lesser' or beginner level in the eyes of some other DJs and promoters (unless you're lucky enough to be at a place with more open minded people or someone else already uses traktor)- I'm not looking to start this debate again about whether or nor it is justified but it's just how it is right now.
    Last edited by Xonetacular; 11-29-2011 at 04:32 PM.

Thanks DJTT
    Not trying to be a douche bag or anything, but if there already are a shit ton of threads about this, why not lurk around to find the answers they posted, seeing as the same ones will most likely be answered here. Just sayin..

But in my opinion, the only person that will know that you are ready is yourself. If you do not feel confident that you can do it, then don't. Build up confidence by doing more house parties and keep on going from there until you feel that you are confident enough to try.
    A wise man once said.

The greatest barrier to success is the fear of failure.

if feel like it, i'd say go for it..

if you already have the possibility to spin at a club, find out what cd players they use and get used to them somehow (getting there when it's still closed, find a friend who has some and whatnot..)
    Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst

please dont take my rant as a dig at people starting out, i havent been doing this all too long myself, it was my shock at his total lack of preparation, respect and professionalism that made me annoyed. mate if you feel that you are ready then go for it, it will only go one of two ways... well, or badly. but the important thing is to be who you are and not give off false impressions of yourself and do your best. And like Xone said you wont need your own gear just try to spend some time getting used to whatever they use
    MBP / 8gb Ram / 1TB / SSL / Rane SL2 / HD25's / Dicers / Empty Bank Account

Tech Mentor

Thanks guys, I think the main thing is that I just really don't know what type of competition I'm up against. I hear DJs around here doing all these awesome remixes on the fly, and I'm sitting here with just two tables trying to figure out how they do it all and make it sound so flawless. Now most of them are using a laptop, so of course I'm pretty sure I'm hearing what they're able to do in Traktor/SSL/etc, but it's still way beyond anything I'd be able to do with two CDJs and a mixer. I'm pretty much just transitioning from one song to the other, and there's little to no variation in how I play the song vs how the song actually goes. I feel like I just don't have enough tricks in order to sell myself yet. I feel like I play bumpin' songs and my transitions are pretty solid, but that's about as far as it goes. Is this just a practice thing/learning the tools of the trade and maximizing them to their potential or is there another variable I'm missing? I just don't know...

Thanks guys, I think the main thing is that I just really don't know what type of competition I'm up against. I hear DJs around here doing all these awesome remixes on the fly, and I'm sitting here with just two tables trying to figure out how they do it all and make it sound so flawless. Now most of them are using a laptop, so of course I'm pretty sure I'm hearing what they're able to do in Traktor/SSL/etc, but it's still way beyond anything I'd be able to do with two CDJs and a mixer. I'm pretty much just transitioning from one song to the other, and there's little to no variation in how I play the song vs how the song actually goes. I feel like I just don't have enough tricks in order to sell myself yet. I feel like I play bumpin' songs and my transitions are pretty solid, but that's about as far as it goes. Is this just a practice thing/learning the tools of the trade and maximizing them to their potential or is there another variable I'm missing? I just don't know...
    This is not a really a bad thing, it's all in your track selection and programming... Shit hot turntablism/controllerist tricks + shitty music = Shitty music with funny noises...just work at it
    My Soundcloud: Bigheadmike

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    The whole DJ scene has been built on the backbones of people losing their warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash101uk View Post
    Mixing is a lot like farting. If you have to force it, its probably shit!

Tech Mentor

Dude you've only been playing for 6 months, relax, it takes time and practice. I've only been DJing for 2 years and I just now feel ready to go out there and attain some gigs.

Quote Originally Posted by bigheadmikelove View Post
    This is not a really a bad thing, it's all in your track selection and programming... Shit hot turntablism/controllerist tricks + shitty music = Shitty music with funny noises...just work at it

THIS 100 % programming and making the crowd enjoy themselves is way more important than any trick, my housemate is also a dj and said this to me when i started out, i paid no attention and struggled, i wanted to be able to do everything straight away, master one peice then move on, is the best advice i was given.
    MBP / 8gb Ram / 1TB / SSL / Rane SL2 / HD25's / Dicers / Empty Bank Account

Tech Mentor

Don't save to get a VCI-SE anymore, save to get Kontrol S2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast