Dustin V's Set Up
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Cool Dustin V's Set Up

Hey guys, well it all started way back in 2001, but at that time I didn't have any gear of my own. Instead I was using my friends gear which was 2 crappy Gemini TT's, a Gemini PS626 mixer, and a crate of vinyls. Thats where I first learnt to mix, and fell in love with DJ'ing.

Fast forward a few years to 2005, and I started taking DJ'ing a little more seriously. I still had no gear of my own, but I knew it was something I wanted to do which was more than just a hobby. At this time I had only a pair of shitty Sony headphones and a CD case full of CD's, still none of my own gear....

Fast forward again to 2007, and this is where I actually really bought my first gear. This is the time when a friend introduced me to digital Dj'ing by giving me copy of his VDJ. Until this time I was only playing with CD's, but soon fell for the convenience, and potential of digital DJ'ing. I then decided to get something more professional than mixing with a copy of VDJ, laptop, and a mouse, so I went to GC, and bought a Hercules RMX, and a pair of Senneiser HD205's.

I loved it, it opened a whole new world of DJ'ing for me. The RMX was awesome, but after some time though I started to feel very limited with VDJ. Fast forward to 2009, and a friend of mine also a DJ, then told me about Traktor. He gave me a cracked copy.... I know.... Anyway it was awesome, Traktor with my RMX was wayyyyy better than VDJ for me, and I loved Traktor. It was then that R.G.A.S. set in and I wanted to get something more serious, and professional.

Fast forward to last year 2010, the release of the world famous Kontrol S4. Well what more can I say, I just had to have it. So in early 2011 after saving and saving, I sold my RMX, and upgraded to the S4, an X1, and an Audio 2. I was in love... Also just to mention, a few months before that I had also bought a new MBP, crane stand, and some new Pioneer HDJ 2000's.... R.G.A.S. I'm telling you!!!

So the S4 was amazing, I loved it except for one thing.... It was too big. I travel a lot, and it was just too big for me, so after thinking long and hard I decided to sell it. It was a sad day indeed, but it had to be done. After that I was back in the market for something new, professional, and more compact.

Fast forward a few more months, and to my joy, the Novation Twitch was released. Well after seeing, and reading all the hype on it, I just had to have it. I bought the Twitch and my set up was complete again.

So at the time of this going to print my set up currently consists of:

2011 MBP 15" i7 8GB 500HDD
    Novation Twitch
    Traktor Kontrol X1
    Pioneer HDJ 2000
    Traktor Audio 2
    Crane stand
    UDG 21" Backpack trolley

2013 MBPr 13" | X1 mk2 | TSP 2 | A6 | DJM 900 nexus | HD 25 UBER Aluminum's | Technics sl1210 mk2's | Logic Pro 9

Nice setup man, I'm interested in the mapping you've done for twitch. Could you tell us more about how its set up?

Tech Wizard

I love the RMX! I followed the same path as you basically. Started off with the RMX and virtual DJ (hated it). I bough traktor, made my own MIDI map for it and controlled effects etc. with it. Hopefully I can add an X1 soon

Quote Originally Posted by Conall View Post
    Nice setup man, I'm interested in the mapping you've done for twitch. Could you tell us more about how its set up?
    Thanks bro, well to be honest I'm using the standard TP2 mapping which I downloaded from Novation.

I'm not a genius at mapping so I actually havn't played with the mapping at all. I was using the Itch software for most of my gigs with the Twitch and only just recently started using it with Traktor again. I'm not a fan of the mapping, its a very simple basic mapping, but it works.

I do think that if you really had to sit down and spend a cpl of hours mapping it, it would be a killer Traktor controller IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by dave04045 View Post
    I love the RMX! I followed the same path as you basically. Started off with the RMX and virtual DJ (hated it). I bough traktor, made my own MIDI map for it and controlled effects etc. with it. Hopefully I can add an X1 soon
    Yeah the RMX was and still is an excellent beginner controller. It's solid as hell, built very well, and can also be mapped nicely. It was an excellent first controller that really got me hooked to controllerism. You are right VDJ was shite, and I was very happy to start using Traktor with it!

One thing however though, later on I found myself feeling very limited with the RMX, the deeper I got into Traktor. When the S4 was released that was the sign for me to upgrade and evolve my set up.

I will always recommend the RMX for any Dj wanting an affordable, trusted, and solid controller.
    2013 MBPr 13" | X1 mk2 | TSP 2 | A6 | DJM 900 nexus | HD 25 UBER Aluminum's | Technics sl1210 mk2's | Logic Pro 9

Tech Mentor

Are you me?
    Started with a RMX, got an S4, probably picking up a twitch/maybe dx in the coming months once I sell of my RMX.
    TRAKTOR Kontrol S4 | Hercules RMX |Blackbook Pro | HDJ 500
    Soundcloud.com/Pooniwala

Tech Mentor

Also, how is the soundcard and build quality of the twitch compared to the rmx?
    Soundcloud.com/Pooniwala

Quote Originally Posted by Wala View Post
    Are you me?
    Started with a RMX, got an S4, probably picking up a twitch/maybe dx in the coming months once I sell of my RMX.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wala View Post
    Also, how is the soundcard and build quality of the twitch compared to the rmx?
    Ha ha yeah almost bro!

Well about the sound quality of the Twitch, I would say the quality is excellent. About the sound output though I'd say the S4 was better. The Twitch is a fully USB powered controller so it has to share it's power. This is where the Twitch loses some points. Its not a deal breaker though as you only need to raise the gains on the mixer and its all good. For home use you don't even notice the lower output IMO. It would have been good if they had included a power adapter cable like the S4 to help power the Twitch and give some more power to the sound card.

The build quality I think is also excellent. Its a mix of durable high quality plastic and has a brushed metallic surface. It feels solid, more so than the S4, and its compact, which is what I like. It def feels like it can take a beating if you going to use it for clubs, gigs, parties etc..

Good luck with whatever controller you choose!

Tech Mentor

Thanks for the advice man! I'll be posting my setup once it's all complete
    Soundcloud.com/Pooniwala

Ok cool man, looking forward to seeing it!

Tech Wizard

Really like the set up !!! IM ON A BOAT!!!!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast