"Music Theory for Computer Musicians" vs "Dance Music Manual" - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Fourth_Frequency View Post
    I just stumbled upon this discussion and have become very interested in getting either of the books. I have just began to really put time into producing after about 5 years of Djing and having FL studios for a solid 2 years. I have no background with playing instruments and was wondering which one would be best for me to read?
    i've only read the one, but i think the computer musiciain book is pretty comprehensive. Although it does have a chapter on musical notation, it does not really require you understand that to move forward.
    Xyloft Live on Faderwave radio 5-7 PM EST - Drum and Bass, Drumstep, Funky House and more.

Hmmm I might have to get both

Tech Mentor

Both are great. The dance music manual is more geared towards specific music styles. The music theory for computer musicians is more ''basic'' theory. I have both, but having a background in music I find myself using the Dance Music Manual more often

Both are extremely useful though

I just ordered the second edition which got good reviews and is aparrently on par with the first or better

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Dance-Music-Manual-Second-techniques/dp/0240521072/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322893998&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Dance Music Manual, Second Edition: Tools. toys and techniques (9780240521077): Rick Snoman: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/619gMSnq1tL.@@AMEPARAM@@619gMSnq1tL[/ame]

I still don't really understand music theory so i'm considering music theory for computer musicians but the reviews are mixed- apparently there are some mistakes that are confusing for beginners and one review said they were expecting a lot more piano roll

Default Get both books

I've been teaching Electronic Music Production for 7 years and my suggestion is that you read both books.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12