Creative Sample Decks
    Tech Guru

Default Creative Sample Decks

Lately I've been seeing alot of big name DJs use the sample decks in traktor...was just wondering how everyone uses them?

...if you were curious i spin House, Tech-house, Techno
    Macbook Pro 13" | XONE 92 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Audio 8 | (2) NI Kontrol X1 | Technics SL-1210 MK2 | Juno 106 | Adam A7x | BOSS DD7 | Soundbite XL Looper | +more

soundcloud.com/kevinsantos @kevinsantosdj

Tech Wizard

I plan on creating loops and one shots in ableton then using them for mash ups. Like playing an acappella in deck A and dropping drum loops and bass lines in and out. Great way to improvise. Havent played around with the sample decks much so im interested to hear some ideas as well. You guys know any creative build up techniques?
    DJ RAGyD

HP G62 Win 7 - Traktor Pro 2 - Live 8 - Akai APC 40 - Xone DX - Nano Pad

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I use the sample decks a lot. I usually grab percussive bits from songs and play them throughout my sets. I also have a few choice percussive samples I'll use pretty regular.

Here's a vid from one of my shows. The outside two channels are the sample decks so you know when they're in use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzCuJ2EU6yU
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Guru

thats really nice stuff photjojo. When grabbing your percussive loops do you have the copy from deck fucntion mapped to a button or rotary? Still trying to get my sample deck mapping sorted out at the moment.

So far I've been really disappointed in the ease of use of the sample decks; I suppose I would use them if there was a midi fighter mapping set up for me that would play them the way I want to, but I can't be bothered to make one, and I'm still annoyed by the difficulty of actually loading up a useful set of samples. There should be a way to load a set of four samples at once that you use frequently, and then change them out for a new set with a midi command. It was one of the features I was most excited about in Traktor 2 but I find myself really disappointed in its implementation. Like I said though if I had a useful mapping for them I might change my tune on this.... But I think I'd prefer simpler Ableton/Traktor cooperation like what they have going on in Serato and the Bridge. Ableton does sampling properly, imho, but it's not as easy to incorporate that sort of workflow into what's already going on in traktor, and I think the way they did it is a bit kludgy.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan