Xone Dx or Novation Twitch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Xone Dx or Novation Twitch

I dont know if this question has been already posted on this forum and if it has im sorry for posting it again.

I've been messing around with midi controllers for the past 5 months and even though they work well mapped to traktor for making simple mixes i feel that i can and need to up my game. In order to do so i strongly feel that i need upgrade my gear.

I have around $550 to work with. I love having as much control as possible of my music. I feel that novation twitch fits my budget and meets my demands. Also Im interested in the xone dx. I dont know if many of you know this but the price has shot down to pretty much half the price from what it used to be. I like the xone dx alot for its capabilities to use 4 decks in itch and traktor. Its nicely balanced for me. It has good overall control of the decks and the effects. Plus i can map it the way i want for traktor. The non-touch sensitive jog-wheels arent a big deal to me. The Twitch to me offers more control and freedom to me creative.

THe twitch and the the xone dx both retail for $499 at guitar center. Sadly i was not able to purchase during to black friday sale. I had no money what so ever at the time.

i would like to make a decision as soon as possible and hope that this post will help with that and maybe help others as well.

Tech Mentor

In the same situation as you are mate, torn between these two controllers as well :/
    TRAKTOR Kontrol S4 | Hercules RMX |Blackbook Pro | HDJ 500
    Soundcloud.com/Pooniwala

What do you mean by upping your game? And what have you been using?

If I were down to those 2 pieces of hardware, the choice would be dead simple to me…but I like the way xone stuff feels and don't think the Twitch offers anything that I'd want to do.

Tech Wizard

i have been using an akai apc 20 custom mapped to traktor pro2. I can mix just ok with it. I just really want and itch controller. I've used virtual dj and traktor, both are great and fun to work with. By gaining more experience and learning about different software and hardware i feel that it would to experiment and find what setup is most comfortable for me. That to me also means uping my game. Putting in the time and effort into developing my skills. I hope that answers the question.

I had a feeling is not the only one with this problem of choice so im glad i posted this.

Tech Wizard

I see your point, I just think the twitch allows the user to get more creative.

Why is that?

I actually see the exact opposite; the Twitch seems like a 1-trick pony to me. If it's a trick you want to do, cool…it's the easiest way to do that trick. But I don't see it doing anything else well.

I'd chime in here and say my vote also goes to the DX. It's just a smart piece of hardware for the price.

Don't get me wrong, I think the twitch is really good. But I don't see anything that you couldn't really do with the DX. And the DX CAN do more. (And having jogs is something I don't think I'd ever want to be without, even if they were simple).
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

DX. It's awesome. So awesome that I had it for sale, got offers, but finally decided to keep it :-) Just can't let it go. It's definitely my first professional feeling piece of hardware and it does everything I need. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Also, I agree with Mostapha about the slicing feature. It's cool, but that's all it has going for it! However, there are lots of forum members who love the Twitch as well. You should try both out and see which you like better. DX just feels super professional man ;-)

Tech Wizard

thank you guys for your responses and advice, i had a chance to try out the xone dx and i feel in love within minutes. the twitch did feel great and i loved it too. The jogs wheels and the four deck control in itch and traktor sold me.

I still have a few question though. This might be an obvious question but can the xone dx work with ssl or serato video?

One last thing does anyone now know or expect or speculate that future versions of itch will come with more effects?

ITCH is slated to get the bridge (to work seemlessly with ableton) and video at some point in the future. I don't know what the technical difficulties behind it are, but it's one of those things that's been talked about, but no one really knows a timeline yet.

The DX could control most of the controls in SSL, but don't think it would have any jog response. And you'd still need the Rane box. It's one of the things I dislike about Serato honestly, the disconnect between the DVS vs MIDI controlling platform.

If the DX could work like the S4 as a timecode control for SSL, I assure you, it would be absolutely groundbreaking. But unfortunately it can't.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast