I might as well start making my own music now! Producing, Reason, Ableton, help!
    Tech Wizard

Default I might as well start making my own music now! Producing, Reason, Ableton, help!

I honestly can not find any good dubstep these days. I feel like its the same for all the other people who like Electro House and House even Trance. Its all starting to change. I'm not a big fan of the new sounds and styles. I know genre's will grow overtime, but I like the original starters of all these genres, they were really pleaseant to my ears, now It just all sounds like crap to me. I know that spinning top 100 is business, but my god the top 100 all sounds the same to me!!! I think dance music is becoming mainstream which wouldn't be bad thing but it just sounds so horrible to me. Its like when T-pain and Akon took over "rap and hip hop" with their autotune style. What sucks is I live in Idaho which means the only people that like modern music only like the VERY NEW stuff. Aka the Crappy stuff.

Anyways I decided I want to start producing my own stuff and slow down on the Live DJing events because my selected tracks are essentially not wanted here. I know very little about producing. I've watched tons and tons of videos, and I really wanna start start making my own tracks and spreading them to places where they would be considered cool and unique and not so critisized by ignorant people who think Skrillex started dubstep hahaha.

I know how to work Reason very well from a very long time ago. How ever I have no clue whats good and easy to use now adays. I am a little bit behind on producing technology vs live dj technology.

Basically what I am asking is for tips how to produce(IE. Typical structure patterns for Dubstep), what programs(LFO friendly), and what kind of basic controller I would for a small budget.

Also if anyone is nice a enough to give me a free copy of reason 6 or 5 I will love you for ever haha which I highly doubt, but hey its worth the effort!!!!

P.S Do I need an external sound card to produce music through software? If so would my Traktor Kontrol S4 work? It has a built in sound card...???

If you have any usefull information to help, or any thing along the lines of this post let me know. I am kinda going through a rough time right now with music stuff down here. Any help is appreciated. Sorry if I sound like a looser haha I am really in need.

Thanks.
    Traktor Kontrol S4/Maschine/Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Acer Aspire Notebook, Core I5 2.66 GHz-2.93/Electro/House/Older Dubstep/Glitch Hop

Good point you make there, However I do not have much knowledge on producing, I do agree with you on this one. Im not sure if im a fan of EDM becoming "mainstream", I guess it could mean more money to the guys producing/playing it but I think it takes the edge off it. I like the fact that I can play some of my music to my friends and they are blown away with it, I suppose it was going to catch on one day.

Rant over.
    Soundcloud - Check it out

Macbook Pro 13" - Numark Mixtrack Pro - MidiFighter

Tech Convert

I think the production subforum of dubstepforum.com can teach you all you need to know.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Chamix View Post
    EDM becoming "mainstream", I guess it could mean more money to the guys producing/playing it but I think it takes the edge off it. I like the fact that I can play some of my music to my friends and they are blown away with it, I suppose it was going to catch on one day.
    "EDM" has been going mainstream on and off since "EDM" first started. See also: drum & bass, euro trance, electro house, 'rave'. This is the way it works:

- cool sounding music hits underground
    - pop producers start nicking the techniques and suddenly it appears on the top 40 (as soon as this happens you know it's got 6 months to a year)
    - the public gorge on the new sounds until it becomes a cliched parody of itself
    - chastened, the music returns to the underground

It's nothing new. It happened to disco. This is the nature of pop music.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Tech Mentor

hey i am an avid reason user. i can find a way to give you "reason 5," i just purchased reason 6upgrade, and i love it. only thing with reason is you can't use VST's but i dont really care about that.

ableton is weird to use, FLstudio is also an option.