Help Setting BPM using iTunes & Smart Playlists
    Tech Mentor

Default Help Setting BPM using iTunes & Smart Playlists

I recently started using iTunes to manage my music and playlists for Traktor. So far I like everything about it, but I am confused on setting BPM's. In Traktor, it seems you cannot change the BPM value for a song in a smart playlist? You can change it in iTunes, but this makes for going back and fourth to reset BPM by looking at your tempo in Traktor, going to iTunes and then setting it. I am also trying out the beta for beaTunes to try and analize some BPMs, but as everyone knows, the analyses can be off most of the time, and you end up figureing out BPM's for some songs by tap tempo, OR setting a grid point and dialing in the grid.

Does any one have tips for a fast acurate way to calculate BPM's using iTunes Smart playlists?

Thanks

Tech Guru

You cant calculate BPMs in itunes, but there is software out there that scans your tracks for the bpm and writes the tags

Tech Mentor

Right, I understand that. I guess I should word it more specifically.

How do you Tap tempo in Traktor and set Grid Markers, lock and save the changes, if your pulling songs from Smart Playlists???

Tech Guru

So you mean you have a smart playlist imported from Itunes correct? You just put it into the track deck have it in advanced and click on the grid tab under the track. From there you can set beat grids, lock the bpm, etc. There is also a tap function on the right

Is that what youre talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by JuanSOLO View Post
    I recently started using iTunes to manage my music and playlists for Traktor. So far I like everything about it, but I am confused on setting BPM's. In Traktor, it seems you cannot change the BPM value for a song in a smart playlist? You can change it in iTunes, but this makes for going back and fourth to reset BPM by looking at your tempo in Traktor, going to iTunes and then setting it. I am also trying out the beta for beaTunes to try and analize some BPMs, but as everyone knows, the analyses can be off most of the time, and you end up figureing out BPM's for some songs by tap tempo, OR setting a grid point and dialing in the grid.

Does any one have tips for a fast acurate way to calculate BPM's using iTunes Smart playlists?

Thanks
    I think I understand what you are trying to say and had just posted my problem right before reading this thread.

Check out my thread and let me know if this is the same problem you are having..

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41612

Tech Mentor

I can see the BPM in the Traktor browser, but I cannot change it by clicking on the value and typing on in, OR it is not the value I had previously set using Tap Tempo and setting up beat grids. The Smart Playlists are generating the BPM value in Traktors browser. I want Traktor to keep the BPM value updated, but it seems Smart Playlists are not allowing for changes to be modified from inside Traktor.

I am guessing the work around is creating new playlists in Traktor and setting beat grids, adjusting BPM, and the exporting that playlists to an iTunes "smart playlist"?