Serato Scratch Live Setup
    Tech Student

Default Serato Scratch Live Setup

Hello,
    I ask some questions about the setup of my mixer Behringer DDM4000 and Serato SL2. I would like to understand if SL2 is ok or I need a more complex version (I think I need SL4 but I am not sure). I do not know how Serato and the mixer work together.
    I would like to know if it is possible link to my mixer:
    > 2 turntables (I have Numark TTX1) + other 2 turntables (or 2 cdc or for example 2 hercules all in one controller)
    > + 2 microphone (mixer supports them but it has not internal audio device)
    > + 2 active speaker (mixer supports them but it has not an internal audio device)
    > Serato SL2

Can this setup work correctly or should I use a Serato SL4 instead?

Another question. Are the two usb ports of my Macbook sufficient or not? What needs to be connected directly to my Mac?

Many thanks in advance and regards,
    Stefano

you can use the sl-2 for two decks. sl-4 will work with upto 4 decks. baby steps
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Well for one, SSL is only good for DVS use. So officially authorized turntables and/or CDJ's. You can use whatever mixer you want honestly. But you won't be able to use a MIDI controller (like the hercules) to control the decks with it. You can do some basic mapping, but deck control is 100% DVS. I realize there may be hacks around this, but really, that's what it's designed for.

The SL1 and SL2 box allow you to use 2 decks.
    The SL3 box allows you 3 decks, or 2 decks and a line-in for recording.
    The SL4 box allows 4 decks, or you can set one as a line-in for recording. It also has two USB cables that makes for really simple transitions between DJ's.

Honestly you can use whatever mixer you want, but you'll be limited to the amount of channels on the mixer compared to what your SSL box can output. Mic's are also limited by the mixer... they have nothing to do with the Serato software itself.

Hope that helps answer some stuff.

Personally I use and SL1 box with a 2 channel mixer. Use my auxillary in channel to hook up my ipod, and use my extra output to re-route back into my computer's line-in for recording. I only use 2 decks though, and that's all I really feel I need at the moment.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Student

Hey,
    many thanks for the reply, there is an effort here, I really appreciate.

So, I think to have understood two different things on which I need a confirmation:

1) no way to use serato scratch live + 2 turntables + 1 MIDI controller (Hercules mp3 e3 for example), I can just use 2 ore more turntables (Serato Scratch Live can be controlled just by DVS) right?

2) SL1 or SL2 offer you two extra "channel", one auxiliary in channel for playing with your Ipod (for example in case of DVS crash, or to launch a linear song without scratches and similar) and one extra-output for recording your sets (the only difference with SL3 is that SL3 can offer you the plus of a third deck for your turntables), right?

An extra question. Some friends of mine use another DVS software, sometimes it starts play opposite side itself (it crashes), could it happen even with Serato?

Many thanks again for yours explanations.
    Cheers.
    Stefano

Yeah, there's no way to use a MIDI controller to control the "jog wheels/vinyl" platters with SSL. That's where you need the CDJ's with time-code CD's or HID support, or the TT's with time-code vinyl. I've heard of hacks around this, but honestly, that's it. You use CDJ's or TT's with SSL.

The SL1 and SL2 require CDJ/TT's, which plug into the back of the box. As far as outputs go into your mixer, there is are Line/Phono plugs coming out of the front (so you can still play regular vinyl if you want). Sounds more complicated than it really is.

But on the SL1/SL2 box, there is NO extra line in. You have the output from the 2 sources, your TT's/CDJ's. The extra ports on the SL3/SL4 can be used as an input, but on the SL1/SL2 you have to record in a different fashion.

The whole iPod thing, well, that doesn't go through the SSL box. You can get a cable and run it directly into your mixer (that's what I do). The box really isn't all that complicated.

I was chilling with my buddy last night, and he's uses both Traktor and Torq. As far as stability goes, it really depends on the computer. I've not had Serato freeze up on me yet, but I'd never count it out. My buddy doesn't have a good computer, and his stuff freezes all the time. I consider that more "user" based rather than software. Compared to Torq/Traktor/VDJ though, Serato isn't much of a resource hog.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Student

Thanks Buddy for your help!! I would desire SL2 allow you recording your set. I this is not possible my only chance is to buy a SL3 / 4.
    Merry Christmas and happy new scratching 2012!!!
    Jay P