Vestex VCI-400: Nonagon Templete and Preformance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Vestex VCI-400: Nonagon Templete and Preformance

This is the explanation of the Ableton template.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=UMoP1uDqiug

Here's the performance with the template in action!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ks__CPrwL80

Controllerism.com I don't know why ean hasn't interviewed this guy yet but he should!!!!
    Last edited by Nanofox; 12-02-2011 at 04:57 AM. Reason: bad links!

awesome stuff..
    Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst

Really nice, I liked it.
    Latest mix

There’s also an almost hermetic community that exists in many areas of dance music, where serious hobbyists feed off each other’s expertise but barely connect to the industry – despite many of those involved actually working in it.

just... WOW! that's all I can say for the first five minutes.. Its a shame he didnt redo the dnb drum loop, as it was out of time... but still amazing
    Last edited by synthet1c; 12-02-2011 at 08:04 AM.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Tech Convert

I totally agree with everyone who commented. I actually watched the template video first because that's what popped up in you tube when I did a search for vci-400. The video opens a flood gate of ideas with the thought of live+Max+VCI-400. This controller is just amazing. Since the product is being sold outside the US, I continue to search for as much information as I can before it's release. Depending on what people are into Nonagon's style might not be for everyone but I can see big things coming from this controller by focusing on the techniques used. Imagine using his template for Ableton live but with alternate genres of music. Also, imagine the same thing but with the power of other software like Traktor and the mapping ideas are almost limitless. The lack of HID implementation with Traktor is a negative for me. It's going to take some hack n' mods to maybe do what NI's trying to hold out on. I'm sure DJTT's Traktor template will bring out a great energy also but I wonder if anyone is going to bring more use to the jogwheels then just efx mappings?

Tech Student

Hey guys,

Glad my videos got some ideas flowing! The VCI-400 is a solid controller, and it was a fun challenge figuring out how to translate my usual APC40 + monome performance setup into the new layout.

Once I have a few minutes to clean up the patches and template I built, I'll post them up as promised. In the meantime, if anybody's got any questions about what I did (or just about the controller itself) feel free to ask! Just registered here, but I'll keep an eye on the thread.

Cheers,

JB
    Last edited by nonagon; 12-06-2011 at 05:24 PM.

Posted this a couple days ago in the Controller section of the forums. Very interesting Nonagon! looking forward to seeing more.
    Macbook Pro : Traktor Pro 2 : VCI 400SE : Maschine : Midifighter Classic : Akai MPKmini : Akai MPD16 custom : Komplete Audio 6 : VCI 100SE Arcade #87/100 : Check out my mixes at http://soundcloud.com/2089a-d

I'm praying that DJTT do a firmware hack on the vci400 and up the resolution of the jogs a la vci100se 1.4.

They will win the internet
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Guru

Any chance you have videos of your max4live use with the APC40...I would be interested how you use that controller as well.

Tech Student

Rukks: I haven't recorded anything formal, though I should. There are a few videos from shows floating around, like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDeRx...ure=plpp_video

Until I have some time to put together a video, I can give you a quick rundown in writing:

I use the clip matrix on the APC as-is -- to launch clips. I run eight channels of clips mapped in the expected way to the eight clip columns on the APC. I have a patch running that illuminates the stop button on any track with a playing clip, and flashes it in time during the last four beats of any clip that's looping

Playing clips are mapped via clip chopper patch to rows on a monome. This way I can see the current playback position of each clip (via the monome lights) and chop up or rearrange any of them (via monome button presses)

I run a visual metronome on the eight Track Select buttons, with button presses mapped to two sets of three Beat Repeats and a reverse effect (affecting the beats buss and the "everything else" buss respectively) like so:

[1/8][1/16][1/32][rev] | [1/8][1/16][1/32][rev]

The track solo buttons (blue) operate as expected, though I have a patch running that makes them momentary instead of toggle.

The track record buttons (red) are mapped to pattern recorders for the clip chopper.

Top eight encoders are mapped in two banks to reverb and delay sends for the eight audio channels. The outermost buttons under the encoder bank run into a patch that makes them one-push resets for all encoders in the bank (so I can zero out all the reverbs with one press, for example).

The bottom eight encoders are mapped to a bunch of stuff: delay filter, delay resonance, delay feedback, LP filter on beats buss, HP filter on everything else buss, bitcrusher, etc. The eight buttons below those encoders are all buss FX like the full-wet reverb, BP filter, etc. that I used on the VCI.

Sorry for the wordy explanation- I'll try to get something recorded and up soon so that you can see it in action.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast