using paypal on the buy and sell forum
    Tech Mentor

Default using paypal on the buy and sell forum

I understand how to post a thread from reading the sticky in the buy and sell section. My question is, how does the actual transaction work? I've never done transactions through paypal other than with ebay auctions. I've read some stuff on it and it looks like people have gotten their accounts locked up or something. I just don't want to ship something out and not get paid...

Tech Mentor

well, i would recommend against shipping off anything before you have been paid.

i would let the buyer send you the money to your PayPal account first. your PayPal address is the email address you've registered with PayPal. The buyer declares that he is sending you the funds as payment for other goods. ("other" means goods not purchased on ebay.) assuming your paypal account (=the seller's paypal account) is a private, not a commercial account, the buyer will enjoy some buyer protection.

that buyer protection is pretty elementary which means you might have to find additional ways to signal to the buyer (more accurately, potential buyers) that you're not a scammer. but yeah, then it's standard that the buyer sends you the payment and only after receiving it you ship the goods to the delivery address he has provided on paypal.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

There's always a risk to being ripped off. If the deal is to good to be true or just feels wrong don't do it.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Mentor

I won't ship till the money is in my account

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by stbanas925 View Post
    I understand how to post a thread from reading the sticky in the buy and sell section. My question is, how does the actual transaction work? I've never done transactions through paypal other than with ebay auctions. I've read some stuff on it and it looks like people have gotten their accounts locked up or something. I just don't want to ship something out and not get paid...
    Don't ship till money is in your account...even if it does go tits up paypal has insurance thing on it so the buyer is covered and esp if they say ill pay half now and half when item arrives.

Ive had this happen to me before threw a certain site buyer didn't pay...numerous contacts and no response...I could have sent the item and where would I be no item and no cash...my advice is keep communication open threw email...also if they paying with paypal it should not take longer than 24hrs..gd luck.

Tech Mentor

Thanks for the help guys. Why do some people ask to send payment as a gift and not for "other" goods?

Tech Guru

Thanks for the help guys. Why do some people ask to send payment as a gift and not for "other" goods?
    Probably to avoid taxes.

Tech Mentor

they want to avoid the fee paypal charges the receiver of money that is sent as a payment for goods and services. it violates paypal's ToS to declare a payment as a gift when it really isn't. in fact, in many countries, you cannot send money as a gift as paypal does not allow for that option, presumably to prevent abuse.

Sending money as a gift could also be a real pain later on if the seller doesn't send the product, because when you dispute it the transaction is marked as a gift; how can you say you didn't receive goods when the transaction is a gift? Food for thought.