Confessions of a gear addict. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tech Wizard

Well see it this way:

You are consuming, supporting the economy and other people jobs
    You are spending your money in thing you enjoy, this is a very important part
    What else could you do with that money? I am sure that you are enjoying your investment, so why worry?

Worry when you have other priorities and still spend on gear, worry when you get in debt, worry if you are not using it.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

I am finally ready to start parting with stuff. Ive hoarded and im sick of it.
    I dunno but something just pinged in my head a few months back (maybe getting engaged) and i just thought "im ready to let go".

Bit like freeing a captured and nurtured otter. Im ready to let some stuff go back into the wild.

I sold my Zero4 and instantly regretted it for a few days as it was the first time in 'forever' that i didnt own a hardware mixer and it felt really weird but, im over it now. It passed.

I still lust after gear. That will never change but the "i have to have that" urge fades after a few weeks when once over, id sell my own ass to get that box of shinny lights.

Perhaps its the equipment that has levelled out. Maybe in a year or so some new stuff will grab my attention and ill really want it but at the moment im more about honing my setup down to what i really need and ive come to learn that what i have and what i need are not the same at all. In fact what i need and what i want are also not the same.

What i want is a mixer like a Rane 57 but with S4 jogs and an Audio 8 inside it.
    Id sell a lot of stuff to get that.

MrPopinjay told me that i was unrealistic to want that, and I agree.

But like John Lennon... i wear glasses... i mean im a a dreamer

hell yeah I support the quit buying and start tweaking philosophy. I've gone way overboard in the past year myself - hell I've bought more gear in the past 6 months than you have in the past year, and I barely have time to even look at it lately, much less learn to play on it competently. (Don't get me wrong, I turn it on practically every night, but I rarely have more than an hour to play before it's too late). The time thing will change early next year for a while (I have a sabbatical coming up) so I've rationalized all my purchases by a commitment - which I will hopefully follow through on - to play more and buy less once I have the free time. My sabbatical comes with a fat pay cut so I won't really have a choice about the buying less part....
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    What i want is a mixer like a Rane 57 but with S4 jogs and an Audio 8 inside it.
    Id sell a lot of stuff to get that.
    That's not that far removed from what SmiTTTen did with the S4+Innofader; maybe give that a shot. Far cheaper than the (admittedly drool-worthy) 57.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Been there, I had 3-4 completely different setups over 2010, basically exploration and midi map whoring). Settled with and S4 and X1 this year. Some of you will remember my rants from previous posts but just in case, local prices are a bitch and this was an extremely difficult setup to acquire and it did the job well so nothing really caught my attention this year.

I'm selling everything now because I'm planning on moving to Australia next year and this will fund the plane ticket. Maybe take a small and much needed break from DJing in the process but this is uncertain.

Prices are far better over there but I'm planning on going for a minimalistic route once I feel the love for mixing again. Internal mixing with a pair of K2s seem like the most realistic solution.
    Last edited by padi_04; 12-03-2011 at 03:32 AM.

@Karlos you write some posts that are pure gold!! Nurtured otters, selling your ass and John Lennon all in one post?! Brilliant!!

Completely agree though. I've gone through a similar transition to Smittten but I think I've found my perfect set up. **said whilst eyeing up a pair of cdj's on ebay**

Up until now it's all been purely for my own enjoyment but this week I got offered my first gig (out of the blue) in something like 8 years!!
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12