S4 and waranty voiding
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default S4 and waranty voiding

I've just had an interesting email from NI in answer to my question ...

What happens if something breaks in my S4 after I install another manufacturers fader.

Sorry to say this guys you are on your own, they do not repair anything without a warranty, and they do not sell spares or even hold stock of them. You can't even offer them money to repair it ... so I say again ... YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN.

They categorically stated that I should not under any circumstances open up the S4.

They went on to say, if anything should go wrong with a unit, (sticky fader, broken pot) they will repair it without question .... as long as the user hasn't opened it.

So, referring to Smittens latest blog entry, it should be amended to say, along with voiding the warranty there's no way to repair the S4 and no way to source the parts .....

.....and as yet, no one has any idea of the longevity of the unit, you may need a new "something" next year because of wear and tear ..... and you won't be able to get one from NI or anyone else.

Perhaps Elliot should offer a free repair service for all the innobender equipped S4's.

I honestly think this is not a wise upgrade, unless that is you have a spare $900 lying around to buy a replacement S4. Leave the innofaders to the real scratch mixers with user serviceable faders.

Flame me if you want, but I reserve the right to say "I told you so", when something breaks and you can't get it fixed. In fact i reserve the right to fall off my seat laughing at anyone who ignores this BIG problem and voids their warranty.

Guys remember this forum is full of kids just starting out, they all believe the hype, many think it's the gear that will make them better DJ's and most suffer from some form of Gear Acquisition Syndrome .... so bear this in mind when telling people to mod their S4's.
    XPS L701x i7 16GbRAM 2x 500Gb SSD RAID HD (Windows 7 Ultimate x64) 1 x 1Tb 7200 int.
    TSP 2.6.1 ¦ Audio 8 ¦ Audio 4 ¦ 4 x Denon SC-2000 ¦ 2 x DX2 ¦ EMU shortboard ¦ MIDI_FIGHTER_PRO_PLUS
    SL1210Mk5 x 2 ¦ Numark TTX x2 ¦ DJM-T1 ¦ DDM4000 MIDI Mixer ¦ Numark 4TRAK ¦ neoD+ cables
    8000+ 45's & 2500+ 12's ¦ 2 x Traktor Kontrol S4 ¦ X1 & F1

i dont see a problem as everywhere it is clearly stated that you loose your warranty with all the consequences..
    Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst

loosing a warranty on a DJM, or a VMS, or a DDM or practically anything else isn't such a big deal as there's always a helpful technician somewhere with access to a parts list as long as you pay him for the work and the parts.

THERE IS NO SUCH PARTS LIST FOR THE S4, and they won't be making one happen soon.

So if you break it, (even if it's not your fault) you will not be able to get it repaired ANYWHERE !

That's one hell of a consequence for something that *feels* a bit better.

The kids out there need to realise that modding the S4, could mean buying a new one if something like a fader or pot fails a few months after modding.

Stick to adding new faders inside mixers with user serviceable parts ... or wait until Elliot strikes a deal with NI to get support for the S4 (somehow I doubt that will ever happen)
    XPS L701x i7 16GbRAM 2x 500Gb SSD RAID HD (Windows 7 Ultimate x64) 1 x 1Tb 7200 int.
    TSP 2.6.1 ¦ Audio 8 ¦ Audio 4 ¦ 4 x Denon SC-2000 ¦ 2 x DX2 ¦ EMU shortboard ¦ MIDI_FIGHTER_PRO_PLUS
    SL1210Mk5 x 2 ¦ Numark TTX x2 ¦ DJM-T1 ¦ DDM4000 MIDI Mixer ¦ Numark 4TRAK ¦ neoD+ cables

Who is Elliot?

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

The whole DJ scene has been built on the backbones of people losing their warranty.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    The whole DJ scene has been built on the backbones of people losing their warranty.
    ^^this!
    Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Warranty = Repair = Replacement of Parts.

No Warranty = None of the above.

- I see no issue here.

- I see no problem with NI's stance on not touching S4s that break if you void your warranty whether the malfunction is due or not due to the Innobender upgrade. Thats how a warranty works with pretty much every product in existence.

-I see no issue with SmiTTTens excellent tutorial and his EXPLICIT warning about voiding your warranty.

- And i see absolutely no connection with Elliot Marx who is simply making an awesome product that people can "choose" to use or not.

From my limited experience with Elliot and from the what my friends likes TeLLy says Elliot Marx seems like one of the real good guys in the industry.

Whether this is a "wise upgrade" is for the user to decide. Everyone is adult enough to know the facts and the risk because they have been explicitly stated in MASSIVE RED LETTERS ON THE INSTALL TUTORIAL VIDEO

Tech Guru

Is this Elliott?

LOL, honestly Smitten made it super clear that you'll be voiding your warranty. Also when it comes down to it, I bet this community will find a source for parts. We're freakin' awesomez!
    :: Kontrol Z2 :: :: Technics 1200 :: :: Pioneer DJM 250 :: Kontrol X1 MkII :: :: Maschine :: :: Kontrol S4 ::

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Even with the it will void your warranty comments in the blog post and this post there will still be some idiot that tries to do the mod, breaks something and claims they didn't see or understand the this will void your warranty bit.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    Even with the it will void your warranty comments in the blog post and this post there will still be some idiot that tries to do the mod, breaks something and claims they didn't see or understand the this will void your warranty bit.

My point ..almost.

There are lots of kids on this forum who (and I'm being kind) need instructions to tie their shoe laces. Saying this device will change your world, or such like will encourage many to rip open their S4's to fit the innobender.

Whilst on other equipment this is not a problem, and in many cases it's a necessity, NI have stated they will not sell parts to the public.

It needs to be said in 150 point, no spare parts .......including those things we haven't seen break yet, long term button pressing may snap a circuit board, which would be covered under said warranty ....

The innobender maybe the first mod suggested on this beast of a machine, i am sure it won't be the last.

Is it really worth the risk? It's a $900 gamble.

I'm all for modding, i've built quite a few controllers myself before settling on an S4 .... but always to kit where the parts were either cheap enough to replace or easily changeable ... minimising cost & risk.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast