What's the easiest way to make scratch sentences
    Tech Guru

Default What's the easiest way to make scratch sentences

Hey guys I was just watching this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nDfm...e_gdata_player

I aw wondering what's the easiest way to make the scratch sentences that he has here, I was thinking ableton but wouldn't that get messy when you try putting in stuff wi differing bpm?

as long as you know the bpm of the track you lifted the vocals from you should be fine, just have the bpm saved in the tags and bring it inline. vocals can drift a little and sound fine, especially as he's only letting them run for a few seconds. if you were wanting to overlay a full acappela verse or something, then you'd need to worry more about getting the bpms exactly right, but the short vocal clips here shouldn't be a problem.

Tech Guru

Your speaking in ableton right?

Here's an example, let's say I have 5 vocal loops ranging from 90-95 bpm and I decide to export an ableton track at 93bpm, how can I warp them all at the same speed and put it in one file

No, sorry, I was talking about serato.

I'm not proficient with ableton, but if you wanted them all in the same file, couldn't you warp them individually to the same BPM, export individually, then use Audacity to connect them together?

Tech Guru

Hmmm I will try that

Quote Originally Posted by rdej47 View Post
    Your speaking in ableton right?

Here's an example, let's say I have 5 vocal loops ranging from 90-95 bpm and I decide to export an ableton track at 93bpm, how can I warp them all at the same speed and put it in one file
    you can warp clips in ableton with individual bpm for each clip. So what you can do is import each vocal clip into individual audio track, and warp each clip to the original clip bpm. Make sure you're on complex pro warping mode for best results. When you set your warp markers for each track, it's like setting a beat grid in Traktor. So when you bring all the clips together on one track, if you change the master tempo all the clips will follow that tempo assuming your warping is done correctly. The best way to check is using the metronome. Then arrange the vocal clips in the order you want them in your sentence and highlight the section of audio you want. Set the master bpm and export the track. It will all be in one audio file if you tell it to render master.

I hope this is clear and helps... If not let me know, I'll be glad to help.
    DJ: Traktor Kontrol S4, Audio-Technica ATH-M50
    Production: LPD 8, Keystation 49, Fast-Track Pro, Equator D5 monitors

If you are trying to make a single scratch sentence out of multiple samples (ie - taking words from sentences to make a new sentence), the best way to do this in Ableton is to turn warp OFF on all of the clips you want to use, then combine them on a single track in Arrangement view, and THEN warp the new scratch sentence to your required tempo.

But - if you want to create a battle record/track out of multiple lines taken from multiple acapellas the way to do this is:

Warp each line at it's original BPM.
    Combine the lines in arrangement view.
    Export to audio.

[In fact, exactly what elio said...]
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

if u have the serato installation cd, it comes with a scratch sentence in it.
    Dj F.a.R.h.A.n
    hip hop, house, reggaeton, dancehall, afrobeats, and international.