Maschine for making drum breaks and playing a synth along with traktor?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Maschine for making drum breaks and playing a synth along with traktor?

So I am looking into getting a Maschine or Mikro to start to produce my own drum breaks and possibly play synths along with tpro2 and use the effects in maschine inside my mixes. I currently have an S4, an X1 and a Midifighter. Would Maschine be able to integrate seamlessly with my current setup. I honestly need to find a mapping for the x1 as it is not in use anymore. What I want to know is will a maschine allow me to "play along" with Traktor doing things like playing some drum breaks on the fly or maybe some sort of synths or horns...also how much more would I need to really produce a full song. And would the mikro be as useful for what I'm trying to do as it is 300 dollars less. I did use the search, but the majority of the topics were on mappings, I'm more interested in a Maschine as a production tool/instrument...I don't really know anything about production yet so if the maschine is the deep end of the pool let me know a better solution for a beginner.

Thanks much,

Mike
    My Soundcloud: Bigheadmike

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    The whole DJ scene has been built on the backbones of people losing their warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash101uk View Post
    Mixing is a lot like farting. If you have to force it, its probably shit!

nobody has any insights for me...

The whole DJ scene has been built on the backbones of people losing their warranty.

Tech Mentor

Yes, maschine would be able to integrate seamlessly with your current set up. If I were you, and based on your statement, I'd save up and purchase the full maschine as your looking to add drum breaks and effects ontop of traktor. With the mikro, you only have one knob and to really use the full power of maschine, you need the knobs for modulation.

I would say that the maschine is good for beginners and pros alike, it is an advanced drum maschine and full of power. Dive in if your serious about production, the maschine is all you really need.

I am now just getting into my maschine after owning it for 8 months, it was a bit intimidating but I have crossed that barrier.

Maschine = Power

I've only just got my Maschine synced up to traktor, and it works, but not quite as 'seamlessly' as I'd hoped. It takes a bit of fiddling to get it in time and in sync once you press play, I think I'd need a hell of a lot of practice with it before using it live. Fun though.
    Mixes: www.mixcloud.com/djalexwild/
    Production: www.soundcloud.com/alexwild
    DJM500 : X1 : MBP 15" 2.53 GHz 4 GB RAM : HD25SP : MASCHINE

Thanks for the inforamation yall, I think I am going to get the Full Maschine...on hooking it up to traktor, how much fiddling would it take on a windows based system. also, can I plug it into my s4 and have the audio come out of the s4 to my speakers, if not what do I need to get to get going with my speaker setup...thanks again for the replies

Tech Mentor

I'm not sure about Windows, I'm on a mac so it is a bit easier setting up.

I would think you'd need a midi cable to connect the maschine to traktor so you can run the effects through eachother, or you could just use the usb cable and maschine software as standalone. Either or work.

you dont need a midi cable if your running them both on the same maschine

Thanks for the replies all. I have another question... right now I have a pair of Xone XD-53 headphones and I go out of my s4 into a nice set of logitech 2.1 computer speakers. a few questions on speakers
    A) Would I need to get a better set of speakers for production?

B) What would be a good set?

C) Would I be able to run them directly out of my S4 or would I have to get some sort of mixer?

4) What would be an appropriate mixer for this if it is necessary? Why would I want some sort of mixer if I don't immediately need one...

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by bigheadmikelove View Post
    So I am looking into getting a Maschine or Mikro to start to produce my own drum breaks and possibly play synths along with tpro2 and use the effects in maschine inside my mixes.
    Hey man, just letting you know as far as I know Maschine doesn't have any "effects" inside of it (I believe you're referring to effects as in like Traktor has Beatmasher, or echo freeze, etc). Maschine is a heavy production tool, and when you use it with your DJing rig (which I don't see why you'd use it with your setup as I run the same setup as well) the only thing you would be doing it with would be redundant thus rendering it useless.

If you're just going to use it for production that makes sense. However spending that much money on it just to make loops for transitioning i'd suggest saving your money and checking to see if someone has like Cubase L.E. or like Ableton Lite (either get them free or pay like $100) and just use your mouse to create the loops you'd like.

The only time I can see it working extremely well for you is if you choose to perform live and play the drums live like Jeremy Ellis did in his videos promoting the Maschine, and doing that during the transitions. Just keep in mind that until you get into the big leagues if no one is seeing you do that shit live (i.e. you're behind the DJ booth and going nuts but no one can see it) or you're at a house party so they won't appreciate it. And also its a lot harder than it seems, cause I definitely tried it, and its by no means easy - however I'm sure that if you really put time and effort into it you can get it.

Just my two cents.
    Last edited by Coldfuzion; 12-05-2011 at 01:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigheadmikelove View Post
    Thanks for the replies all. I have another question... right now I have a pair of Xone XD-53 headphones and I go out of my s4 into a nice set of logitech 2.1 computer speakers. a few questions on speakers
    A) Would I need to get a better set of speakers for production?

B) What would be a good set?

C) Would I be able to run them directly out of my S4 or would I have to get some sort of mixer?

4) What would be an appropriate mixer for this if it is necessary? Why would I want some sort of mixer if I don't immediately need one...

Thanks in advance
    As for this part man, i'm not going to type everything out as the answers are already all over these forums - you have to use the search function. And read.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast