Would you take this gig?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Would you take this gig?

Just had a message from a promoter who got my name from a buddy of mine;

"We have a friday night at winchester called fat panda. All went tits up with the promoter and basically he fucked the night over and now we have no one who comes. We are trying to cover the night this friday as its the last, and hoping quite a lot of people will come. However we are unsure. Id be interested in getting you a lot more when we have established the new night and have a lot of people coming through the doors, (as i dont want you to play to empty dance floors) and at the moment we have an issue with funds for the event. If it is a busy night i could pay you with money from the door, however there is a chance it could be dead, therefore not having any money on the door. We can however buy you a create of beer or something as payment? .

Let us know what you think"

I never usually take unpaid gigs, but the guy is promising loads more once they get up and running. I have nothing better to do on Friday night, so i'm probly gonna take it. Just wondering what DJTT would do!
    HP Envy 14 - EKS Otus - 2 x Midifighter Classics - Midifighter 3D - Korg KM202 - X Session Pro - M-Audio AV40

- http://soundcloud.com/joshlomas -

Depends how much gigs you actually get out.. If you are a regular at getting gigs then you may want to negotiate some with him.. Some beer and a little bit of cash would keep me happy and drink all night..

If you never seem to get gigs out snap the beer off him, ask for drink all night also and take the opportunity to get your name out there..

I know i did loads of gigs for basically shit all to get my name out there.

The bloke seems to be being upfront with you, he isn't promising you stuff he can't deliver. If you'll find it enjoyable, why not?

I'd probably take the gig myself, get a few mates down, enjoy myself. I'm a cheap date though.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

He got your name from a mutual friend and is using a very informal tone, almost implying that he somehow owes you something.

Quote Originally Posted by The promoter
    Id be interested in getting you a lot more when we have established the new night and have a lot of people coming through the doors, (as i dont want you to play to empty dance floors)
    Why doesn't he? Has he ever heard you spin? Who is he subjecting to these empty dance floors? So far, just you if you'll take a gig for–essentially–free.

So…what are you doing that night? Were you spinning somewhere else or planning to go out?

I'd say, negotiate 5-quid cover for anyone who knows you by name and bring all of your friends that you can. Treat it like a house party with a bar and a big sound system (assuming both of those are true) and don't expect to get anything out of it, because I'd bet money the promoter's just looking for a nobody that he can abuse. Get your 5-quid per person you bring in as fast as you can, and spend it on your friends' drinks. You're not going to make enough for it to be worth anything else anyway unless I'm drastically misinterpreting the situation.

Don't bring much of your gear without charging him for the rental…like…bring as little stuff as you can still have fun mixing on. And if he decides to treat you like complete crap when nobody's there but people you brought…just walk. If he's wrong and there are actual people there, that looks unprofessional. But if you're bringing the music, the talent, the gear, and the crowd…and he gets uppity, he's going to burn himself in the scene eventually anyway.

And, you know, it might actually work out well. I just don't think you should ever take anything a club promoter says at face value.

Tech Mentor

find out what happened to the other promoter. what happens all too often here in the United States is a promoter makes the night popular, working very hard for little or no money with the expectation of a bigger payoff at a later date. the night gets popular, and the owner fires the promoter. the owner makes big bucks for a while, and then it fades away. the promoter gets screwed.

Do it...........for me its not about the money, more the exposure and the fun I could have.
    If it turns out to be a good gig, he'll hook ya up! If not, oh well, move on!

If you nothing else to do. May aswel take it, test a few things with a real crowd (however small it may be) infront of you. All experience in my opinion.
    Soundcloud - Check it out

Macbook Pro 13" - Numark Mixtrack Pro - MidiFighter

better than sitting at home doing nothing, getting paid nothing, might as well have a laugh and get paid in beer! i do agree with mostapha though if he starts being an arse, stop the music and go home... watch him shit himself then
    MBP / 8gb Ram / 1TB / SSL / Rane SL2 / HD25's / Dicers / Empty Bank Account

Quote Originally Posted by captcha View Post
    Just had a message from a promoter who got my name from a buddy of mine;

"We have a friday night at winchester called fat panda. All went tits up with the promoter and basically he fucked the night over and now we have no one who comes. We are trying to cover the night this friday as its the last, and hoping quite a lot of people will come. However we are unsure. Id be interested in getting you a lot more when we have established the new night and have a lot of people coming through the doors, (as i dont want you to play to empty dance floors) and at the moment we have an issue with funds for the event. If it is a busy night i could pay you with money from the door, however there is a chance it could be dead, therefore not having any money on the door. We can however buy you a create of beer or something as payment? .

Let us know what you think"

I never usually take unpaid gigs, but the guy is promising loads more once they get up and running. I have nothing better to do on Friday night, so i'm probly gonna take it. Just wondering what DJTT would do!
    Depends on the reputation of the promoter. Majority of the promoters lure you into playing for free with promises of bigger, better, high paying gigs in the near future. I have been at this game off and on for 10yrs. I have yet have a promoter come through with that promise. I would at least get $50 out of him. These days I don't play for free anymore. I even charge my CLOSE friends $100-200 to play.
    1 Denon DNX1600, 2 Technics SL1200MKII, 1 Pioneer DDJ SX, 1 Reloop Terminal Mix2, 1 MBP running VDJ/Traktor/Serato SL/DJ
    Soundcloud
    Vimeo
    Facebook

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by DJ ATX View Post
    These days I don't play for free anymore. I even charge my CLOSE friends $100-200 to play.
    WoW somebody certainly sucked the spirit out of you. Do you charge your Mrs for listening if she's within earshot when you're at home practicing

I'd do it, get some beers, put yourself out there. Who knows what other opportunities could arise. Its all about exposure, experience and having fun.

I suppose it also depends a lot on your motivation and what you get out of your DJ'ing. Its definitely worth the gamble on the possibility of further work, getting in on the ground floor so to speak!!!
    Pair EKS OTUS, Akai MPD32, Vestax DJ6000M, JBL Control 10's, HP G70 (6GB RAM-Pentium Dual 2.27GHZ-Windows 7 64bit)

DJ at www.flybasedj.co.uk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast