Question about the WMC and Marketing yourself?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Question about the WMC and Marketing yourself?

Hey all,

I'm at the point where I'm ready to start marketing my music and remixes. I've that the WMC is the best place to atleast go and hand big A&R's your stuff face to face. After going to the WMC's website I realized there is ALOT going on that week and idk where to begin.

Has anyone ever attended in hopes of markteing themselves or does anyone know any info on how to go about doing it whether at the WMC or elsewhere

thanks!

how much money do you have in a budget to spend on just advertising?
    (I have a lot of experience in marketing and advertising)(6years)
    Beatslicing for the bitches

Tech Mentor

well, thats a good question. i'm not really even sure how to go about marketing myself if I went to the WMC. I'm just a guy who wants to make music, be a social personality, and travel (though I wouldnt market myself like that lol).

But I guess I should ask is how much should I budget to be successful in marketing myself at the WMC or in general.

thanks for the help. With that many years of experience I'm very interested to hear what you have to say.

thanks!

Let me tell you where to not waste your money... don't hand DJs your CD mix when you see them DJing. I can't tell you how many of these were put into my hand while I was DJing at WMC. These are placed right in the garbage. Think about it, if you want to give something worth while to a DJ give him an unreleased track. Put money into making some sort of flyer or business card that can be handed to party goers and everyone really. Have all essential links listed.

As for what to give to an A&R rep, again a CD with unreleased music... NOT a CD of a mix you made. If you want to be on a label they want to hear your production skills, not how you DJ.

Hope this little bit of info helps. And make sure to go towards the end of WMC/Ultra, since the actual WMC is 10 days long it will only be really good towards the end, the last 4-5 days. As seen last year the majority of what will be good is closer to Ultra, which is why WMC had to make sure the coincided with Ultra after trying to be slick last year and almost entirely ruining their brnd.

Good Luck!

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by LanceBlaise View Post
    Let me tell you where to not waste your money... don't hand DJs your CD mix when you see them DJing. I can't tell you how many of these were put into my hand while I was DJing at WMC. These are placed right in the garbage. Think about it, if you want to give something worth while to a DJ give him an unreleased track. Put money into making some sort of flyer or business card that can be handed to party goers and everyone really. Have all essential links listed.

As for what to give to an A&R rep, again a CD with unreleased music... NOT a CD of a mix you made. If you want to be on a label they want to hear your production skills, not how you DJ.

Hope this little bit of info helps. And make sure to go towards the end of WMC/Ultra, since the actual WMC is 10 days long it will only be really good towards the end, the last 4-5 days. As seen last year the majority of what will be good is closer to Ultra, which is why WMC had to make sure the coincided with Ultra after trying to be slick last year and almost entirely ruining their brnd.

Good Luck!
    thanks for the input. I LOLd at handing DJs mixes just because I've been there. I'm lucky enough to play 4-5x a week here in Denver, Co and I've had a few people hand me mixes and they definitely go in the trash or rot in my car lol. I definitely I agree with business cards, CD of productions ect, but I guess my main question is HOW do you go about handing people your stuff. Or is it common knowledge thet the WMC is for netowrking so should I just walk up to an A&R guy and introduce myself and hand them my stuff?

I feel like it wouldnt be that 'simple'.

thanks for the tips about going late too, thats a good idea.

Tech Mentor

Where do you live? I'd put my time money and energy into starting club nights and playing at local/regional festivals. Once you get some local cred you can start getting the attention of people outside your scene. Pay your dues, son!

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by CryderSteez View Post
    Where do you live? I'd put my time money and energy into starting club nights and playing at local/regional festivals. Once you get some local cred you can start getting the attention of people outside your scene. Pay your dues, son!
    I live in Denver, Co. Definitely something I've thought about I don't know how to go about doing I hate to admit it.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by bmar222 View Post
    I live in Denver, Co. Definitely something I've thought about I don't know how to go about doing I hate to admit it.
    Just hand those same demos and mixtapes to the people responsible for booking local bars clubs venues and festivals. It helps with you have a crew with some better known names to drop but just keep in mind you'll be getting crappy weeknight slots and probably playing to an empty room more than once. Its a long process, like anything you gotta grind to get to the top.

you ever figure this out?
    Beatslicing for the bitches

In my experience at WMC, what I took from it is that you need more then just good music, they want to see you as a brand. A&R's and Managers and what not want to see money making potential out of you right away, they do not want to develop look, style, reputation etc.., They want to see that you have all of those things already, and that together you can make each other some money. Thats what I took from the people my brother and I meet with in 09.
    Try to stay focused on business if thats what you are going for, because its easy to get distracted. There were 507 official WMC parties in the 6 days, and just as many unofficial parties.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast