What do you think about these speakers for a home DJ booth? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tech Convert

That's the thing, I was tempted to get KRK Rokit 5 or 6, but two producers and one DJ warned me away from them, because they are studio *production* monitors, not meant to reproduce the sound you would hear in a club or playing out live. Both of the producers that warned me away actually use KRK Rokits too btw.

They look cool though. And I saw several pictures here of people who use them in their home dj booth, so I'm glad to hear some feedback from people who have them and like them.

Right now I have big floor speakers with 15" woofers up on stands at ear level, and they thump hard as hell. But they just take up so much space, I wanted to create a smaller profile.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodless View Post
    dj monitors =/= studio monitors

Studio monitors are flat,
    DJ monitors (like KRKs) are more heavy on the lower end of the spectrum (bass)

OT: KRK monitors are a good shout, theyre not cheap though.
    Wait, I thought KRKs were studio reference monitors?

Quote Originally Posted by Btros View Post
    Wait, I thought KRKs were studio reference monitors?
    They are.

They will also have much better low end than the ones you linked. And if you really want it to sound more like you're in a club you're going to need a subwoofer. The KRKs with the KRK sub is excellent.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again... a half assed pair of floor speakers with a half decent receiver or amp will just about equal the sound quality of KRK's, and blow them away in decibels and boom.

I have a pair of 10 year old pioneer floor standing speakers that cost $200 when I got them. They are 5 times as loud and sound just as good as any of those studio monitors whenever it came to DJing at home.

Quote Originally Posted by sobi View Post
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again... a half assed pair of floor speakers with a half decent receiver or amp will just about equal the sound quality of KRK's, and blow them away in decibels and boom.

I have a pair of 10 year old pioneer floor standing speakers that cost $200 when I got them. They are 5 times as loud and sound just as good as any of those studio monitors whenever it came to DJing at home.
    i have a pair of pioneer cs-3070 + pioneer stereo amp a-203 for almost 10 years now and they never let me down. bought the package for like 200€ and i think for home use it´s good enough. i´d say get some decent studio monitors if you want to get into production otherwise almost every known hifi brand can serve you best.
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Tech Convert

I tend to agree. I may just have to stay with my big ass floor speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by kooper1980 View Post
    Shit why is Craigslist so wank on this side of the Atlantic?!?! sweet deal!!!
    I live about 600 miles north of Xone, and craigslist is whack here too whenever I look. I don't understand how xone finds these things.

Quote Originally Posted by Legend View Post
    I feel like if I got KRK Rokit 8s I wouldn't need a sub though!
    BS. You need a sub if you want to hear sub-bass. It doesn't matter if you have 15" cones in your woofers, it's as much about the electronics involved as the size of the speaker. An 8" speaker tuned for full range playback sure doesn't cut it.

That's the thing, I was tempted to get KRK Rokit 5 or 6, but two producers and one DJ warned me away from them, because they are studio *production* monitors, not meant to reproduce the sound you would hear in a club or playing out live. Both of the producers that warned me away actually use KRK Rokits too btw.

They look cool though. And I saw several pictures here of people who use them in their home dj booth, so I'm glad to hear some feedback from people who have them and like them.

Right now I have big floor speakers with 15" woofers up on stands at ear level, and they thump hard as hell. But they just take up so much space, I wanted to create a smaller profile.
    I like my RP5s. They're not too loud for my bedroom and sound great. Had them for years. In my bedroom, I've used bookshelf speakers, a PA system, cheaper monitors, computer speakers…these are definitely the right choice. I'd get 8s and a sub if I were buying today, and I'd consider going with Mackie or Yamaha instead of KRK, but they're impressive speakers for what they are.

Bullshit.

I haven't heard any home audio speakers that weren't noisy as hell and really shitty-sounding until you get up to ESS, B&W, or Acoustic Research level.

I'd really love to hear these speakers you keep suggesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Also just a friendly reminder to check craigslist regularly and often. I decided I wanted a second pair of monitors on Sunday and came home with these KRK RP8s with stands for $200 a couple hours later. And if I didn't get those there were a pair of RP5s I could have gotten for $130. There are always deals if you look and lots of KRKs. Come to think of it that's about what I paid for my first pair of RP8s on craigslist too.
    Very good suggestion. I usually check Craigslist for other items, never thought about the KRKs. Found a few good deals right off the bat! They didn't beat what I got mine for, but still really really good deals on there!

i am getting krks for my house tomorrow, so excited!
    Dj F.a.R.h.A.n
    hip hop, house, reggaeton, dancehall, afrobeats, and international.

I tend to agree. I may just have to stay with my big ass floor speakers.
    Unless you need flat clarity for production, floor speakers, for DJing, are going to blow away studio monitors 57 times out of 10.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast