Starting to doubt my potential as a dj - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Quote Originally Posted by brian_johnstone View Post
    dont even begin to think about fx and cue points yet, master actually mixing two tracks well.
    This is the second most important skill, the first would be developing an ear for good music you like Don't follow charts, don't follow blogs, don't bite essential mixes. Just sit down on beatport (or juno or whatever) and go through a bunch of labels and releases that you have your eye on and narrow it down to what you really like...you may have to take a bit more time than you are used to to do this...really listen to each song...out of 10 songs I normally get 2 or 3, the albums and compilations notwithstanding...

Just some food for thought, I've been messing around with traktor for the last 14 months or so and I still just practice A > B mixing with the occasional cue point or loops...
    My Soundcloud: Bigheadmike

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    The whole DJ scene has been built on the backbones of people losing their warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash101uk View Post
    Mixing is a lot like farting. If you have to force it, its probably shit!

What gave me motivation to continue - pioneer dj sounds on YouTube laidback lukes set, watch it, he inspired me, also gives u a idea what pros do, good luck
    Denon DN-X1600.Traktor X1.Macbook.http://soundcloud.com/jaskotech

Tech Mentor

Thanks for all the help guys, i'll focus on finding my own music since everybody knows the stuff from blogs, etc.

Just bought a mint vci-100se w/ 1.4 and overlay for $280 shipped. A dj friend told me it was a great deal so I'm pumped to get started.

pioneer dj sounds on YouTube laidback lukes set
    I watched it, and ok this guys has mad skills, but sometimes he's just doing tricks for doing them you know, they really don't sound well.
    But from a technical point of view it's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by dope View Post
    I watched it, and ok this guys has mad skills, but sometimes he's just doing tricks for doing them you know, they really don't sound well.
    But from a technical point of view it's awesome.
    +1. sometimes his "wind ups" just sound like pure crap. Actually he did it in both of his sets on Pio DJ shows. Roger Sanchez on the other hand... sick!
    The MUSIC is what matters!
    Everything else is _________

Quote Originally Posted by DarioJ View Post
    +1. sometimes his "wind ups" just sound like pure crap. Actually he did it in both of his sets on Pio DJ shows. Roger Sanchez on the other hand... sick!
    sanchez deff. throws is down, laidback luke is technical, but sometimes his effects do make sense, i know they can sound like crap at times, but he has fun doing what he loves.
    Denon DN-X1600.Traktor X1.Macbook.http://soundcloud.com/jaskotech

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456