Starting to doubt my potential as a dj
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Starting to doubt my potential as a dj

Hi there, I got into mixing about a month and a half ago and I was really starting to like so I got into the market for a controller. Ever since I started looking for a controller I feel like I've gotten worse or something. I practice on my computer about an hour a day (sometimes as much as 3 hours) but still I don't quite feel like I'm progressing as much as I did in the beginning. I made one mix (pretty simple, basic transitions, fades) that all my friends loved as asked for more but now I feel like I have writer's block or something and when I try to make a new one mix I don't quite get vibe that I did before.

Not sure if it's because I'm trying to run loops, fx and bounce between cues all with just a keyboard and mouse but it just isn't working. Is this just my brain telling me that I need to get a controller in order to legitimately spice things up seeing as it's nearly impossible to fade in/out run effects, control samples and loops with my current setup? After watching ean golden, porter robinson, zedd, etc. and listening to some of your guys' mixes am I just expecting too much of myself?

I want to get good, but I'm scared to drop around $400 seeing as I've been facing "dj's block" lately. In other words I feel like I'll get the controller and still suck.

Any words of advice? Thanks.
    Last edited by rcs1113; 12-06-2011 at 11:31 PM.

Tech Wizard

You said you cant control loops, effects, and transitions with mouse and keyboard, if your anything like me youll proboly grow out of the controler and get turntables + serato or cdjs
    I Don't Wan To Go The Ocean ... Thers King Fish Out Derr Man

The deeper you get in to DJing the more critical of your mixing you'll get. Keep that in mind.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

take a break away from for a while and if you still got the itch come back to it and get a cheap 2nd hand controller to begin with.
    "Wow! I wanna be just like your friend! Thats honestly what i told my mom and dad when i was about 11 years old...i said when i grow up i wanna dj for rich people"

i still suck
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by rcs1113 View Post
    Hi there, I got into mixing about a month and a half ago

Tech Wizard

A whole month and a half and you aren't a pro yet? Yeah, you should quit.

Tech Wizard

Getting a controller will only improve your abilities, as 2 hands can do much more than 1 mouse click

Quote Originally Posted by rcs1113 View Post
    Hi there, I got into mixing about a month and a half ago and I was really starting to like so I got into the market for a controller. Ever since I started looking for a controller I feel like I've gotten worse or something. I practice on my computer about an hour a day (sometimes as much as 3 hours) but still I don't quite feel like I'm progressing as much as I did in the beginning. I made one mix (pretty simple, basic transitions, fades) that all my friends loved as asked for more but now I feel like I have writer's block or something and when I try to make a new one mix I don't quite get vibe that I did before.

Not sure if it's because I'm trying to run loops, fx and bounce between cues all with just a keyboard and mouse but it just isn't working. Is this just my brain telling me that I need to get a controller in order to legitimately spice things up seeing as it's nearly impossible to fade in/out run effects, control samples and loops with my current setup? After watching ean golden, porter robinson, zedd, etc. and listening to some of your guys' mixes am I just expecting too much of myself?

I want to get good, but I'm scared to drop around $400 seeing as I've been facing "dj's block" lately. In other words I feel like I'll get the controller and still suck.

Any words of advice? Thanks.
    i used to feel this way all the time for the first 2 years of djing. after gigging for a while i finally hit a point where i felt like i "got it". i started understanding (in my opinion anyways), what djing was about and where i wanted to go with my sound. its normal to feel stuck, trust me this feeling will come and got very often. just stick with it and you'll be fine

also, instead of listening to other's mixes and feeling down about your own skills, look at these mixes as sources of inspiration and try to tell yourself that you are gona strive to be that good one day. keep in mind you haven't been doing this very long and it takes years to get good at it.

i hoped that helped and best of luck
    Maschine Routine with live musicians
    http://youtu.be/ubEQZSvocto
    fb: http://www.facebook.com/djizn

dont even begin to think about fx and cue points yet, master actually mixing two tracks well.
    MBP / 8gb Ram / 1TB / SSL / Rane SL2 / HD25's / Dicers / Empty Bank Account

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast