Starting to doubt my potential as a dj - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Don't do it because you want to go pro, do it because you love the music. If you love to bang on for hours on end then any money you spend won't be a waste.

I have had thoughts like yours before but then I realised that being a superstar isn't my eventual goal (maybe it's yours) but that I should just keep having fun and if I happen to get to a point where I feel I am good enough to go searching for gigs then I will, and if not whatever.

I say you should find yourself a used mixtrack pro as it is a cheap controller that is great for a beginner and is all in one.
    13" Core I7 MBP - Kontrol S4 - Midi Fighter - RP-DJ1200 - BX8a

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by JoseIglesMusic View Post
    You said you cant control loops, effects, and transitions with mouse and keyboard, if your anything like me youll proboly grow out of the controler and get turntables + serato or cdjs
    I completely agree, eventually you'll grow out of the controller and get into some cdj's and Traktor or Serato... Heck maybe producing is your calling... try out Ableton and see what its like (i find it a hell of a lot more challenging though)

You may want to get a controller of some sort - just allows you to utilize more of the tools available to you... but you are only 1.5 months in ... don't stress

Tech Mentor

Dont quit, just practice more 6 weeks isnt a long time. get a controller or better yet get some tt's they feel alot more like your doing something instead of looking at a screen.

you have good mix's and bad mix's just give your friends the good mix's and delete the ones your not happy with.
    Practice

Wow, that's quite quick to become "stuck". But ofcourse you will improve on _anything_ you get your hands on a hellofalot in the beginning, cuz' you come from 0, and going to 1 is a huge step. Then from 1 to 2 is a bit longer, and then when you're really good you'll improve slowly as hell.... So it's then you really need the passion. Was the same with me when I started playing guitar, started writing, making films etc. I got better quick in the beginning then felt stuck and quit. DJ:ing I've been going at it for a few years now at least, and feel I might not get better at the same pace but I'm getting there and it's still fun as hell.

If you feel it's a chore and it's boring that you don't develop any further, well frankly, maybe it's not for you?

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I'm not any better than Jester and I still do it.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

You're right, you need a controller to start enjoying it properly.

However yo can get creative with your keyboard mapping. Set up instant fx buttons like dely freeze etc. Earl Panda has a wicked video somewhere of him djing on just a keyboard

But truthfully most people would agree that the interface you use helps you "feel" the djing better and be more in tune with the process.
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    The deeper you get in to DJing the more critical of your mixing you'll get. Keep that in mind.
    Pretty much. When I first started out I thought all of my mixes were amazing despite being terrible objectively. Just keeping two tunes in time was impressive enough. Nowadays my mixing is obviously much better objectively, but my standards have changed so much that it all sounds terrible.

As for gear. I spent a lot of time trying to push basic midi controllers past their intended functionality just because it was possible rather than opting for new gear that was designed to do what i want, and it became frustrating, to say the least. I've got over $10k in gear now that I don't utilize anywhere near its "full potential", but having the right tools makes things much more enjoyable. If you really like DJing, a simple controller will be worth much more than the few hundred bucks you pay for it.

As for "I'll get a controller and still suck" - yea, you will. Getting new gear doesn't make you better. Learning how to use it does.
    Last edited by DigitalDevil; 12-07-2011 at 09:53 AM.

I'm amazed you made it 6 weeks with mouse + keyboard. I made it about a day like that before I gave up, waited a year or so, and then bought turntables.

Tech Convert

I dunno, i don't think DJing is something that is so hard that you have to "practice" it on a routine. I can say that my amount of actual "practice" is maybe a few hours a week tops. (been less as i am overseas and don't have my TTs). But when im home i'll have a quick mix every now and then, but i never do it for training. I won't touch my decks unless i have inspiration.

However, that doesn't mean i don't put a lot of work into it. I spent countless hours buying/listening to tunes as well as getting into making my own stuff as well (had a 14 hour production session last week).

I would say, just keep listening and learning and building that library. DJing and music (to me) isn't about training like an athlete would (going to the gym and having a workout routine), you need to have that spark to WANT to sit down and have a cheeky mix.

Also, i personally don't see the difference between a mouse and keyboard and a controller. Keyboards are like a big midi button array right? I like to be able to put my hand on a record and stop it. (serato though because vinyl is effing pricey)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast