old record collection value?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default old record collection value?

A lady I work with just gave me around two hundred old rock records from the 60's-70's. She said they were her late husbands collection and she wanted someone who enjoyed music as much as he did to have them. I told her that I couldn't just take them and that I would gladly pay her for them. There's a bunch of stuff I've never heard of, as well as some gems like the beatles, zeppelin, and such. I know selling individual records price different, but what would be an ideal amount that I should pay her for them?
    Toshiba Satellite Windows 8.1, TSP2, Audio 10, Audio 2, 2x Technics 1200 MKII, Pioneer DJM-707, Midi Fighter Spectra, Kontrol X1, Behringer CMD PL-1

If she wanted you to have them and gave them to you then what's wrong with that? Let her do something nice if she wants to, don't deprive her of that if she wants to give it to you and it would make her feel good- that's kind of selfish in a way.

Personally I find it annoying when I'm trying to do something nice for someone and I want to give or buy them something and they don't let me.

It's pretty clear she wanted to give them to a good home and was trying to do that and not sell them, once you add money it takes the meaning out of the gesture and I doubt she cares about it.

Tech Guru

they could be worth anything from a tenner to ten grand just look though there individual value

My dad is giving me a part of his MASSIVE classic rock collection because he knows I will listen to them, and he doesn't. His turntable is packed away, and I have two. So just accept it. Maybe cut her grass in the summer or rake leaves for her to help out if she doesn't want money. Ask her if she needs help with something if she won't accept your hard earned cash.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

If someone wants to give you something you should accept it with gratitude- that doesn't mean you owe them anything and need to somehow repay them to get even. Just be courteous.

Sounds like this could easily be resolved with a bunch of flowers and some chocolates.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

discogs.com
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    discogs.com
    +1. nuff said

Tech Mentor

Musicstack & Gemm are worth a look tooo.
    As is the Record Collector Rare Record Price guide book.

You need to go through the collection to catalogue and grade them to get an idea of their value.

Tech Mentor

To answer the OP's question, the value of her late husband's record collection is priceless.

To her, it's value lay in the enjoyment her late husband got out of it, not its monetary value.

The satisfaction she will feel by handing it on to someone else, who will enjoy it as much as he did, cannot be measured in Dollars and Cents.

Take the gift in the way it was meant, not for a monetary return, but in some small way it will feel like a small part of what her husband was about will continue on into the future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast