Downloading a torrent but you purchased the software
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Downloading a torrent but you purchased the software

HI guy's, I'm one of those people that buy hardware and don't really look at the paperwork inside because of the excitement of using said hardware. Anyway I purchased a midi key board and discovered I was given a free copy of NI's Kore and licence key. However after installing it and the service center it won't let me register it. when I try do it offline via the service center html doc, it block's my NI account and when i try do it online via the service center it keep's wanting to upgrade the service center. I have emailed them but to no reply since Sunday and since I am in South Africa, it's not so easy for me to pick up the phone and scream at a consultant. So here's my question, Would it be wrong to download the exact version of the software from a torrent site ?

Quote Originally Posted by Reveren Kamakaze View Post
    Anyway I purchased a midi key board and discovered I was given a free copy of NI's Kore and licence key. However after installing it and the service center it won't let me register it. when I try do it offline via the service center html doc, it block's my NI account and when i try do it online via the service center it keep's wanting to upgrade the service center.
    Did you try letting (or even) upgrading your Service Center and then re-installing it? And if the problem persists sometimes all it needs is a re-install of Service Center itself on your computer. However to answer your original question, no. I do not think it's immoral to torrent something you already have paid for, but I do prefer having the legit version since I did spend my hard earned money on the product.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Service center will do that update every time you start it. AFAIK there's no way to stop it.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Wizard

Okay so maybe I'm updating wrong, but I did re-install everything but still the service center won't work, It say's it updating and I even put the target destination folder to a new folder on my desktop and when it's done the folder is empty and when I start it up again it updates again. @ColdFuzion, your right I had the legit version of FL5, for more than 4 years and I was unable to update it so I simply upgrade myself to Studio One 2

Is it technically illegal? yes.

Is it wrong? No. It's like if I buy a vinyl record there's no point in ripping it if I can just download a copy.

That's just my opinion and there are some people on here who are very serious about antiquated IP laws and protecting the rights of big copyright holders.

Tech Wizard

I thought you were allowed to have digital back-ups/copies of any format providing you own an original?!?! Hence why you are allowed to copy CD's to itunes/ipod for example and backup software in the event of a crash.

Maybe someone in the know could clarify???
    Pair EKS OTUS, Akai MPD32, Vestax DJ6000M, JBL Control 10's, HP G70 (6GB RAM-Pentium Dual 2.27GHZ-Windows 7 64bit)

DJ at www.flybasedj.co.uk

Tech Guru

actually no you are not allowed to copy a cd to itunes, i know that is crazy. you can legally make an analoge copy of a cd so rip a vinyl or tape.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by tombruton69 View Post
    actually no you are not allowed to copy a cd to itunes, i know that is crazy. you can legally make an analoge copy of a cd so rip a vinyl or tape.
    More like Bizarre, why give the option then?
    Long live the Noob Wizard

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by tombruton69 View Post
    That depends on the jurisdiction you're in, bro. Some places you're allowed to make a digital copy, some places you're not.

Until quite recently in NZ, you weren't even allowed to make a tape copy of a record you had purchased.

*edit: typo*
    Last edited by ellgieff; 12-07-2011 at 06:16 PM.
    2 x Technics 1200 mk5 | 2 x Pioneer CDJ-1000 mk3 | A&H Xone:62 | KRK RP5-G2 | 15" MBP | TSP | Audio8DJ | Kontrol X1 | Korg KP-3 | Korg NanoKontrol
    Beached As Breaks, Mondays 7am - 9am UK Time on NSB Radio | Podcast | Archives | Facecrack

Tech Mentor

I don't think we should have these discussions as to not incriminate the forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast