Controller or TT's
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Controller or TT's

So i just bought my first controller, the vci-100. I used the latest mapping with TP2 and ive been practicing for about 2 months now. I find that I'm missing certain features as i really like to loop and sample parts during my sets.

Im looking to make an upgrade to a 4ch set up, either another controller, the Kontrol S4 or TT's with timecode. From your experience in djing, what seems to be an ideal set up for you guys? I know style and genre has a lot to do with it, but over all what are some pro's and cons of using turntables over a well rounded controller such as the s4?

Tech Wizard

I would probably have to say the "ideal" set up is two cdj's and a quality 4 channel mixer, (in the usa pioneer shit is king) thats if you're looking to get into the club scene. Basically because that is what about 99% of clubs have standard, which means (for the average dj) less set up time/potential problems, etc.

Of course this kind of rig will cost you a pretty penny but you've asked for ideal... so there it is

Another option is getting a controller and tagging on two tt's (tech 12's) or cdjs if it allows for that... then you're set with both worlds but if you're spending that kinda money i'd personally be more inclined to buy a club standard, midi mappable 4 chan mixer but its up to u

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by pstokesy5 View Post
    I would probably have to say the "ideal" set up is two cdj's and a quality 4 channel mixer, (in the usa pioneer shit is king) thats if you're looking to get into the club scene. Basically because that is what about 99% of clubs have standard, which means (for the average dj) less set up time/potential problems, etc.

Of course this kind of rig will cost you a pretty penny but you've asked for ideal... so there it is

Another option is getting a controller and tagging on two tt's (tech 12's) or cdjs if it allows for that... then you're set with both worlds but if you're spending that kinda money i'd personally be more inclined to buy a club standard, midi mappable 4 chan mixer but its up to u
    Sorry, i should have been more specific. Im not looking to go pro any time soon I'm in college so cdj's and a club standard mixer will have to hold off until i finish school find a job etc.

Im focusing more on learning djing and how to start, the "proper" way. Basically, what are reasons people choose vinyl over a controller, when it seems a controller can do almost everything two TT's and a mixer can do, if not more

i think an s4 is all you need. but im a diehard controller user. screw cdjs and tts. too cumbersome and over priced. you can rock a crowd with on X1 and you can rock a crowd with 6 CDJs. why not go with the small and cheap route? i vote for a four channel controller. id wait til the vci400.
    Dell 2.3 Ghz 4 Gb Laptop - Windows 7 Premium
    Numark Stealth - Kontrol X1 - Akai LPD8 - APC20 - Novation Launchpad - Numark Mixdeck
    Traktor Pro 2 - Ableton Live 8.100000000000000

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by indaMIX View Post
    Sorry, i should have been more specific. Im not looking to go pro any time soon I'm in college so cdj's and a club standard mixer will have to hold off until i finish school find a job etc.

Im focusing more on learning djing and how to start, the "proper" way. Basically, what are reasons people choose vinyl over a controller, when it seems a controller can do almost everything two TT's and a mixer can do, if not more
    Well the controller is far more convenient then because it is everything is a box ready to go, but all the best dj's (sorry to generalize) have learned on tt's or cdj's. simple fact that learning proper beat matching and timing is always a great skill to have... but then again try out some different things at your local store, you'd be amazed how easy it is to pawn off dj equipment on used classifieds. and look for deals on used classifieds for that matter

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by ranzerox View Post
    i think an s4 is all you need. but im a diehard controller user. screw cdjs and tts. too cumbersome and over priced. you can rock a crowd with on X1 and you can rock a crowd with 6 CDJs. why not go with the small and cheap route? i vote for a four channel controller. id wait til the vci400.
    x2 for the vestax vci-400 that is a sick piece of sex-ness, i really really REALLY want one hehe

if you want to learn properly, then TT's are your best bet, nothing on them is automated so you need to learn how to use them first before you can sound good, but in that time you will learn so much more about the compisition of dance music, and you will be listening more intently to the music, so in theory you will get better knowlege of your music, the only problem you may have with turntables is you have to get quality one's, the cheap one's are cheap because they are crap to use.

Also when you are learning, try to not look at the screen, you should beatmatch by hearing the beats alone, otherwise beatmatching will never become instinctual. but it takes a lot of practice to get to that stage. But it is a very steep learning curve, you will need to think about what you are doing for a while, but one day it will just happen naturally.
    Last edited by synthet1c; 12-08-2011 at 12:31 AM.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Quote Originally Posted by synthet1c View Post
    if you want to learn properly, then TT's are your best bet, nothing on them is automated so you need to learn how to use them first before you can sound good, but in that time you will learn so much more about the compisition of dance music, and you will be listening more intently to the music, so in theory you will get better knowlege of your music, the only problem you may have with turntables is you have to get quality one's, the cheap one's are cheap because they are crap to use.

Also when you are learning, try to not look at the screen, you should beatmatch by hearing the beats alone, otherwise beatmatching will never become instinctual. but it takes a lot of practice to get to that stage. But it is a very steep learning curve, you will need to think about what you are doing for a while, but one day it will just happen naturally.
    i dont believe that stuff, ive always had a feel for music and edm in general is crazy easy to understand. if you have even a basic grasp for music theory (which you should) you can start off with just a laptop. beatmatching i can understand was essential back in the day but now it really isnt. do what you want and do what feels good. fuck all the ideals and rules behind djing. of course this is a bit biased since i love controllers and can already beatmatch. but i dont really believe any of that starting out learning to beatmatch and the mixer cdj combo being the pinnacle of djing bs. also, look at the screen all you want, your using software and your laptop has a screen for a reason. they didnt spend years on traktors appearance just so you try to not look at it.

fuck da police
    Dell 2.3 Ghz 4 Gb Laptop - Windows 7 Premium
    Numark Stealth - Kontrol X1 - Akai LPD8 - APC20 - Novation Launchpad - Numark Mixdeck
    Traktor Pro 2 - Ableton Live 8.100000000000000

the idea of learning how to do it without the computer is so you can do it independantly of it if you need to, but you only get one chance at learning the first time, to me it shouldn't be wasted on sync and effects, you should get the fundamentals down first, It's not a rule its advice...

I faught the law and the.. law won..
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by synthet1c View Post
    the idea of learning how to do it without the computer is so you can do it independantly of it if you need to, but you only get one chance at learning the first time, to me it shouldn't be wasted on sync and effects, you should get the fundamentals down first, It's not a rule its advice...

I faught the law and the.. law won..
    I'd have to agree (not bout the law fighting) but thats personal preference to be honest, again, try out gear at your local store! you may take a liking to a certain controller, software, tt, mixer, headphones, etc

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast