Music collection (Live AND Traktor)

Default Music collection (Live AND Traktor)

Hi all,

I'm in the process of working on my music collection. I really trying to get it cleaned up, tagged, key'd, rated, etc.

Up until recently, I used either Live OR Traktor, and I didn't really worry about my collection since I didn't put any effort into managing it.

But now that I use both programs frequently (and sometimes at the same time by syncing the master clock)... and I'm putting some time and effort into my music collection... I want to avoid maintaining two folders of my preferred tracks.

I'm wondering... is there a problem with letting Live and Traktor work from the same Root music folder? I know that Live does some stuff to tracks (or at least creates additional files used with the sets). And Traktor uses the .nml file, though not sure of anything else...

Does anyone have any recommendations/warning/comments?

John

Yeah, it's fine. Just keep Live's sidecar fiels named correctly and in the right folder and you're fine.

I'm not totally familiar with the sidecar files... are those the .asd files that are created?

It looks to me like Traktor will ignore those .asd files. Am I correct?

And they look to be relatively small in file size, about 500kb.

Yep.

They need to be there for live to know what to do with them, and they need to have the name Ableton gives them. Traktor will ignore them. Just don't let iTunes move your music files around and re-name them…it's a PITA to re-warp everything…almost harder than moving all the files where they're supposed to be.