First Gig This Saturday! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tech Mentor

Now you gotta take pics and let us know how it goes

make sure ur cue points are set up

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Wilde View Post
    For a 17 year old's party, stick to the charts. If things are going really well try some dance remixes of popular stuff (though it seems pop nowdays is pretty dancey, which i like!). MAKE SURE you have everything on the Billboard Top 100... you'll get requests.

When I'm doing mainstream work, I find the "Promo Only" cd service to be totally essential. Not a paid plug for them, its just so damn nice to have a cd come each month with everything I need to have to be up to date with pop.

Let us know how it goes!
    How does promo only work? Digital watermark? What about the other one, the download service that is a direct competitor? If you choose the download service do you have free access to back issues? I don't mind digital watermark because I don't plan on pirating or letting anybody get sticky fingers around my laptops... I just really don't like DRM.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Entheos406 View Post
    How does promo only work? Digital watermark? What about the other one, the download service that is a direct competitor? If you choose the download service do you have free access to back issues? I don't mind digital watermark because I don't plan on pirating or letting anybody get sticky fingers around my laptops... I just really don't like DRM.
    I don't know if PO had any kind of watermark or DRM but it always ripped to the computer just fine. Not familiar with a download service but I'd be interested to check it out!
    Kontrol S4 | Novation Remote 25SL Mk.I | Macbook Pro | Shure SRH750DJ
    Soundcloud | Facebook | iTunes Podcast

Tech Convert

Thank you so much everyone for the comments and advice! I feel a lot better about tomorrow after reading everything you guys said so thank you a lot you have no idea how much it means to a beginner like me to hear all of the advice and reassurance you guys just gave. I currently have all of the current billboard top 100's and the top 40's so I have almost every "popular" song to my knowledge. I have not cue pointed any of them yet =/ because I personally stick to electro so most of those songs are cue pointed, not the "popular" ones so I guess I have to chug through that tonight woo! I'll try to take pictures! I don't have anything to take video's sorry guys and I could record the mix but don't want to risk freezing my computer on my first gig... any more advice is very greatly appreciated thanks again!

Tech Mentor

Yeah you'll be fine. Relax. Play how you practice, a performance is NOT the time to try that new trick you just saw on YouTube or whatever.

I don't know why people here get worked up about cue points. That's the whole point of that big jog wheel and headphones!!! Just load it, seek to where you want it, and drop it! Simple. No need to have cues set up unless you're planning on changing a LOT of records REALLY FAST or in some complex way, which, with pop you shouldn't be doing (people want to hear the verse and chorus mostly like what they're used to on the radio!).

As far as building a party library, also google "crooklyn clan". Some people have opinions on using pre made mashups or partytracks but personally, they WORK and are just another tool in the kit (unless you are so hot that you can drop it all on the fly!!!)
    Kontrol S4 | Novation Remote 25SL Mk.I | Macbook Pro | Shure SRH750DJ
    Soundcloud | Facebook | iTunes Podcast

break a leg homie!
    Dj F.a.R.h.A.n
    hip hop, house, reggaeton, dancehall, afrobeats, and international.

Tech Convert

Oh yeah... your completly right... so I don't even have to worry so much about messing up with mixing or getting too fancy because they will want to hear most of the songs... and true I probably won't really need cue points for this gig... I usually use them to easily drop in house tracks when I'm mixing electro, or I use them kinda as samples before dropping a track in I've the ns6 so much fun. But thanks guy's! and haha as long as I don't break a hand I'm good.

Tech Mentor

how'd it go?

Tech Convert

It went great! There were a lot less people than I was expecting, not my fault haha. But the people that were there enjoyed it and were having a great time, I was a lot more comfortable than I thought I would be. Most importantly I loved it, it felt right doing it and I can't wait to do it again with more people! Sorry guys no pictures... My phone died and I don't have a camera..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12