First Gig This Saturday!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default First Gig This Saturday!

So I've been practicing for about 2 and a half months and I feel content with myself, I know I'm no where near pro but I can mix, beat match, and etc., all of the basics. Anyways, my really close friend's cousin is having a birthday and I'm going to dj for his cousin for pretty cheap, it's not about the money right now. But anyways, it's her 17th birthday and she's having a party so I need any tips I can get! Should I basically just play what's on the radio? Top 40 stuff? Keep it basic like minimal mixing, and staying on the main stream stuff? I figure it will be a perfect first gig, not too hard and it will allow me to get used to being in front of people. Any help is appreciated guys!

Rob

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Play what she wants to hear. If you don't know what that is ask her. Good luck and have fun.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Wizard

Also take some time to practice with "her choice" of music if it differs a great deal from your own chosen genre.
    Either way I would slip in a few of your own favourites and gauge the audience.

Good luck
    Pair EKS OTUS, Akai MPD32, Vestax DJ6000M, JBL Control 10's, HP G70 (6GB RAM-Pentium Dual 2.27GHZ-Windows 7 64bit)

DJ at www.flybasedj.co.uk

Alright, one thig I've noticed with first gigs is the over use of effects. Use them wisely, only when u need to or it actually adds to the track. Also, do t let anyone behind the booth unless u know them and the arnt gonna touch anything. Finally have fun, ohh and yeah, play what she wants, the way u mix it is up to u/ur style and the actual genre.

Tech Convert

Thanks guys! She like's all the popular mainsteam stuff, but you guys think I should throw in a few of my favorites? My personal favorite genre is Electronic, particularly house. Also, thanks for letting me know to keep it low on the effects, I can see how if I wasn't thinking my first time and just got in to it I could get easily carried away, keep it simple right? Any more advice is greatly appreciated! I'm getting pretty nervous! Almost 24 hours from now until my first gig! woo!!

Don't be nervous just relax, you'll mix better.

Yeah, towards the middle/end throw in some house or electro. Maybe try electro remixes of top40. But if u have a good vibe going then don't change, u might interrupt the dancers.

Tech Mentor

For a 17 year old's party, stick to the charts. If things are going really well try some dance remixes of popular stuff (though it seems pop nowdays is pretty dancey, which i like!). MAKE SURE you have everything on the Billboard Top 100... you'll get requests.

When I'm doing mainstream work, I find the "Promo Only" cd service to be totally essential. Not a paid plug for them, its just so damn nice to have a cd come each month with everything I need to have to be up to date with pop.

Let us know how it goes!
    Kontrol S4 | Novation Remote 25SL Mk.I | Macbook Pro | Shure SRH750DJ
    Soundcloud | Facebook | iTunes Podcast

Promo Only are good but you need to be a working dj

Just stick to chart remixes, a bit of vocal house and some classics - although classics for a 17 year old probably means stuff from a few years ago...
    SC | MC

Tech Mentor

Yeah whenever I have steady gigs (gentlemens club.... mainstream club weekly) I totally lived off promo only. Probably a bit $$ for just a casual dj tho.
    Kontrol S4 | Novation Remote 25SL Mk.I | Macbook Pro | Shure SRH750DJ
    Soundcloud | Facebook | iTunes Podcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast