Really quick question about phrase mixing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Really quick question about phrase mixing

Hey guys, really quick question.

When I'm busy loading up a new song, I lose track in my head of the bars that I've counted and forget where the phrase ends.

What do you guys do to remember, just set up cue points?

Tech Mentor

You can do cue points, of course, but I just "know" by ear. If I lose myself for one reason or another, looking at the playhead position on the whole-track waveform snaps my ear back into place. I'd guess counting bars will turn subliminal at some point for you, and then it won't be a problem anymore.

Tech Mentor

With practice, you get a feeling for it so you don't need any reminders. But yeah, you can use some tools to make it easier.

One way goes as follows. When you grid tracks, make sure to set the beatmarker on the beginning of a phrase. In Preferences -> Decks -> Deck Heading, set one field of the deck heading to "Beats." When you play a track, you can then see where you are within a phrase. Beats will display the beginning of a new phrase as 1.1.1, 2.1.1, 3.1.1, and so on. Note this will only work if in Preferences -> Beat Counter -> Bars Per Phrase, you have set an appropriate value (8 works extremely well for electronic and dance music).

I'm sure there are other visual aids you could use (e.g., cue points). Also, it might help you to move within a track with a beat-jump size of 32 (i.e., one phrase). This way, once you've identified the phrasing, you can stick with it even while moving around in the track.

Quote Originally Posted by DJQA View Post
    I just "know" by ear
    +
    Quote Originally Posted by DJQA View Post
    counting bars will turn subliminal at some point for you
    ^THIS

when my conscious attention connection to the running track get lost i will regain it after 5-10sec when my attention gets back on it.

it feels like my unconsciousness had never lost it and my consciousness wait for his sign that shows where is the next first beat, i can even "feel" how much bars i have to wait and where/when will the next first beat come.

Tech Mentor

Most tracks today follow the same formant. They are mostly 4/4. Usually every 8 bars something will change in the song. Listen to the into of almost any house song song. You will usually see a pattern. I'm headed out the door for work. I will post a little more later on when i get home.
    In the meantime give this a quick read.
    [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beat_%28music%29"]Beat (music) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

There is normally an aural warning of some kind before the end of a phrase, like a extra kick drum or cymbal, or the melody begins to start again.
    BCF 2000
    Traktor Pro 2
    Kontrol X1

Tech Mentor

you can sort of tell where abouts you are in a phrase, lets just say at the beginning the first 16 bars may be a hi hat then the next 16 adds a snare then the next 32 adds a bass and it all builds up to a breakdown and so on

It's all about patterns, my friend! Patterns everywhere!
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

If I had to count and do math during a set I would quit.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Listen to more music, play more music and after a while you'll just know. I've never really had a problem counting or knowing where I was in music. Probably from playing trumpet in various bands growing up. After a while you can hear patterns and should be able to predict whats coming.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast