USB Audio Out Converter - USB AUDIO CODEC
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default USB Audio Out Converter - USB AUDIO CODEC

There are a million cheap USB soundcards or USB audio converters. My question is, do any of them work and give clean sound?
    I have a cheap Numark USB mixer that works well. I can hook two laptops up to it via the USB Audio Codec and crossfade the signals. Problem is I have to run that cheap mixer into a single channel on my nice Denon mixer. The Denon mixer will give me a green/yellow/red level indicator on the individual channel that will help me mix audio levels better. I want to run the laptops to the denon mixer each on their own channel. To do that I would need two USB interfaces that I could run out. Anybody have any luck with a USB audio converter? I don't trust just running the sound out of the headphone jack. It seems way too hokey to me plus I end up getting the OS sounds through my PA whereas I can set it to only run the music out of the USB jack.

Thanks guys. You are by far the best and most accommodating DJ forum I have been on.
    Last edited by Entheos406; 12-09-2011 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Fix a confusing sentence.

What numark mixer?
    Route one channel to the master and a second channel to the headphones, then with some wire magic, connecto those two to the two channels on your normal mixer.
    Many photons have died to bring you this information.

I'm at a bit of a loss why you'd run 2 laptops into a mixer, it seems a bit redundant. Why not 1 laptop + a 4 channel soundcard?
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Tech Mentor

I don't understand how a 4 channel sound card works. Can I run two mixing programs simultaneously? Basically I run two laptops because I want to be able to listen to the songs in one (especially requests) while playing on the other. I like to be able to check out my transitions. Sometimes you get gold mixing two songs that are nothing alike with a good beatmatch cutting the vocals of one over the top of the beat of the other, creating a 15-20 second mashup as the songs fade. I like to preview that before I run it live so that I can figure if it sounds good or if it sounds like I wound up a bunch of music boxes at once.

It is not about how a 4channel soundcard works, it is about the software.
    If you have software that outputs two different songs, each on it's own output pair (stereo), you do the cueing in the mixer.
    So for example MAYA44 is the cheapest soundcard that just does the trick. Other similar soundcards are Numark I|O and NI Audio 2 DJ.

You did not answer my mixer question is that and now here is a new one: What software do you run on those laptops?

ALSO: Have you tried connecting both USB cables from your Numark mixer to ONE laptop? Their drivers (if any) might allow youj to join the sound devices into one. If that does not work, you can always use ASIO4ALL to create one solid device from multiple.

Tech Mentor

Numark 950USB
    Mixmeister express 6 and 7 respectively.

I like the simple approach and the cheap price tag. I know nothing of other programs but also have numark v7 turntables and an x5 mixer. When I am confident with the v7s I wont be using the mixmiester so I don't want to upgrade to the expensive version unless its really worth it and a viable tool for making mashups etc. I might be best to switch to itch so that I can organize my library and get familiar to the software but I don't know if it works without a controller attached.

:facepalm:

Default USB Audio Out Converter - USB AUDIO CODEC

You have v7s and don't use them? Wtf?

Tech Mentor

I don't know how. With mixmeister I can sit down with the bride and groom and program the first hour of music for them. With the V7s I have to spend the whole night cueing and adding songs one at a time. I am not aware of an autoplay feature. Also, what am I going to do with wedding music on turntables? What if people want me to scratch and cut and I don't know how? I figured I would work my way into it. If I've been using two f-in laptops anyway I suppose I can bring the v7s and run mismeister on the other one for when I need a break.

not sure if serious.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast