Someone finally said it… - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I'd give you the mobile dj thing, but mobile DJs don't need booth monitors. All they're going to do is make the DJ go deaf.

If anyone has ever seen a mobile DJ actually beat match (even with sync), I'll concede this argument.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Well to be frank dude, it matters not what you give me. Its my personal experience as a working DJ.

The hassle that i have in one club alone with the monitor is enough to make me really want a booth output on the S4... im pretty sure if you were with me you say "shit, that is simply a PITA Karlos".

When i was using a VCI 100/Firebox and Traktor had a booth output i could constantly alter the booth volume on the VCI along with my headphones and control my monitoring carefully and concentrate 100% on the mixing, rather than stretching across my gear to reach the mixer forcing me to take a hand off the controller for longer than i should have to.

Its like putting the gear stick in a car next to the brake pedal. Yeah i could reach it but id have to take my eyes off the road too long.

Its simply not practical. And in a time of feature packed controllers it makes no sense to leave out one of the fundamental features of DJing.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    I'd give you the mobile dj thing, but mobile DJs don't need booth monitors. All they're going to do is make the DJ go deaf.

If anyone has ever seen a mobile DJ actually beat match (even with sync), I'll concede this argument.
    I don't know in college there were quite a few fraternities with PA systems that you really needed booth monitors for.

You can see the setup here (skip to 8 minutes it's a cheesy vid) http://www.slopemedia.org/television...a-chi-thumpty/

Someone would always bring two 12" speakers on tripods pointed at the DJ booth which was behind/under the main outs pointing at the dance floor from above.

College parties were a little different than a stereotypical mobile gig though at least some of them at my school.
    Last edited by Xonetacular; 12-11-2011 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post

Wow, really? I started doing mobile work at 15 with ten-year veteran mobile DJ, and on some of the venues, we would've been SCREWED without a monitor. YES, we did mix (disco, house, top40), and when you play a big venue you absolutely have to have a monitor. We played a few, the largest being the top floor of the Sacramento Convention Center; it's 20,000 sqft of carpet. One room. Talk about foldback...

In all of these cases, we had a either a booth output wired via our Denon X-800, or we'd bring a monitor amp and control the gains that way...

Tech Mentor

im glad my VMS4 has Booth outs.

Quote Originally Posted by bmwnutfrombirth View Post
    Wow, really? I started doing mobile work at 15 with ten-year veteran mobile DJ, and on some of the venues, we would've been SCREWED without a monitor. YES, we did mix (disco, house, top40), and when you play a big venue you absolutely have to have a monitor. We played a few, the largest being the top floor of the Sacramento Convention Center; it's 20,000 sqft of carpet. One room. Talk about foldback...

In all of these cases, we had a either a booth output wired via our Denon X-800, or we'd bring a monitor amp and control the gains that way...
    To be fair, he said beatmatch. That being said, I've seen several mobile and wedding jocks beatmatch. I personally know several of them, and do so myself on mobile gigs. Some people just have the unfortunate luck of seeing nothing but really shitty, corny, stereotypical, jukebox jocks in mobile settings.

As for the booth monitor on the S4, I've never seen the need for one. On mobile gigs, small lounges, and other stuff that isn't large scale, I've never needed a monitor. Over a decade playing raves taught me how to deal with horrible monitoring situations, and small stuff is never loud enough to really require them... at least in my experience. In larger louder places like clubs... where a monitor is something I really need, I haven't seen a single place in over 15 years of DJing up and down the east coast of america that didn't have a DJ booth with a mixer that has a booth monitor. That is all I need, as the booth mixer is what I will always end up plugging into.

Quote Originally Posted by sobi View Post
    To be fair, he said beatmatch. That being said, I've seen several mobile and wedding jocks beatmatch. I personally know several of them, and do so myself on mobile gigs. Some people just have the unfortunate luck of seeing nothing but really shitty, corny, stereotypical, jukebox jocks in mobile settings.

As for the booth monitor on the S4, I've never seen the need for one. On mobile gigs, small lounges, and other stuff that isn't large scale, I've never needed a monitor. Over a decade playing raves taught me how to deal with horrible monitoring situations, and small stuff is never loud enough to really require them... at least in my experience. In larger louder places like clubs... where a monitor is something I really need, I haven't seen a single place in over 15 years of DJing up and down the east coast of america that didn't have a DJ booth with a mixer that has a booth monitor. That is all I need, as the booth mixer is what I will always end up plugging into.
    Mixing/beatmatching...same thing....

I'm a mobile dj who beatmatches! I use the booth out on my Denon mc6000 all the time. Sometimes I need monitors, sometimes I use it to pipe dinner/ cocktail music into another area while spinning (the denon allows you to choose what channel comes out the booth so I can run a playlist on deck 4 into another room while spinning off my other 3 decks). I've even used the booth out as my mains because I didn't have the right adapters.

Intoxicated /adj./ When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info

Tech Wizard

O how i wish my S4 had a booth output...
    13" Core I7 MBP - Kontrol S4 - Midi Fighter - RP-DJ1200 - BX8a

Tech Mentor

Damn I didnt know this was a big deal untill now.

Is it a big deal if I do all my beat matching in my headphones?

Never really played at a big enough venue to ever have heard of this booth out thing
    First Mix, have a listen you know you want to
    http://soundcloud.com/mattybruce/spr...-daddy-mixtape

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast