Someone finally said it…
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Someone finally said it…

Banned

Never realized this was a subject of debate or question. Seems rather straight forward to me

Hit every point/counterpoint on the money. I'm sure someone will still argue vehemently why their S4 that never leaves the bedroom should still have a booth out.
    Cheers!
    | 13" rMBP | KORG ZERO4 | NOVATION TWITCH | 2 X CDJ-200 | KONTROL X1 |

Quote Originally Posted by Nephew View Post
    Never realized this was a subject of debate or question. Seems rather straight forward to me
    I see tons of 'But where's the booth out?!?' comments every time something is released that doesn't have one. Or 'I won't even go near that thing because it doesn't have a booth out'. I even felt that way once upon a time, but realized very quickly that two master outputs negates the need entirely, if there even was one to begin with.
    Cheers!
    | 13" rMBP | KORG ZERO4 | NOVATION TWITCH | 2 X CDJ-200 | KONTROL X1 |

no shit?

The only advantage of a booth output is a quick and on the fly volume control.
    Because if booth is controlled by the venue's mixer, then i guess you have to do a step or two if you want to adjust the volume
    lazyness ftw

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

The omission of a booth output on the Kontrol S4 was a massive oversight.

First of all the removal of the Booth output in Routing Preferences was a massive mistake and then not including it on the S4 was a mistake, hell they put one on the S2 cus it was a mistake.

I p*ssed and moaned about the removal of the Booth Output in Traktor and it was said that most DJs mix in the headphones or use a hardware mixer to run a booth. Well, yes, that maybe the case for many DJs but many other do not.
    Why oh why take features out of the software that could easily just be left in for people to use.

Some people dont use the booth monitor, thats fine. Many people do use it and there should have been a booth output on the S4.

The S4 is billed as an all-in-one for every kind of DJ. So what about mobile or bar DJs that dont want to bring an external hardware mixer as well as an "all-in-one" controller.

Yes there is usually a hardware mixer to run the booth off but i dont always want to be stretching to the mixer to hear the booth especially if its:
    [Turntable - S4 - X1 - Turntable - Mixer] its just too far to reach, not practical .

I play in small clubs, bars, huge clubs and festivals. I want the right options to suit the venue.

I have had to buy one of these for one of my clubs were the booth monitor volume is not in reach (its on the back of the monitor) and the mixer is too far away to use it. It works fine but its another bit of kit that id rather not bring that could easily have been incorporated into Traktor and the S4:

Saying that controllers dont need booth outputs is a stupid as saying they dont need Mic inputs. It comes down to personal preference whether you will use them but the options should be there.

Fine, bring out a controller with no booth output but expect people to complain.

It's all to do with the speed of sound (man...)

Try beatmatchng with speakers 50ft away!
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Most of the time you probably won't need it and you will never need it in a club, but they should still have them and there's no reason not to include them on on a decent controller.

The big thing is for mobile and bar DJs where you don't have a hardware mixer or the hardware mixer is so beat or in the way anyway it would be better to just bypass it if it's just you there for the night. It's much better to have one booth knob on the controller than to have to adjust the gain on the back of a PA speaker especially if it's hard to reach.

I remember a thread on here a little while ago with a guy shopping for a powered monitor that had a gain on the front just for this reason, it was a mistake on the S4 not to have it....
    Last edited by Xonetacular; 12-11-2011 at 02:16 PM.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    It's all to do with the speed of sound (man...)

Try beatmatchng with speakers 50ft away!
    Even worse. I had a residency at a huge club and the amp room was downstairs and across the venue, possibly 300ft of cabling. The difference in the front of house and the foldback was ridiculous, almost a whole beat out.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast