Why so much hate for digital?
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Why so much hate for digital?

Hi guys, first post and it's a long one!

I used to mix on Technics when I was younger, then I moved to CD decks. Now that was a few years ago, and sadly since getting married and having a family the djing gear had to go as our finances were (and still are) stretched.

So I'd been out of the loop (no pun intended) for about 5 years, until a couple of months ago when I picked up a copy of Traktor. What a revelation, now Im currently just using a laptop, with no controller, but I'm still loving what I can do with it!

It's a massive learning curve, but one that I'm thoroughly enjoying, and I find myself practicing more because I dont have to set up decks everytime I want to play (there's no space at home to have a permanent set up).

There's a few guys at work who are into electronic music and a few that DJ. When I mentioned getting back into mixing and that I was using Traktor the reactions were far from positive. In fact they were really really negative, and began implying that no skill was needed at all. I tried to explain that using sync etc was optional, but they all had the attitude that by using Traktor its not true djing.

I guess I was quite surprised! I mean I have utmost respect for vinyl/cd djs, but I also feel that anyone who mixes with Traktor deserves the same respect.

So yeah, is there alot of hate for Traktor and digital djing in general? Im just interested to know, because from my point of view its the future, and even if I had the money/space for decks, I'd still incorporate it into my setup!

Thanks for listening to my rant!

Welcome. There are plenty of threads on exactly this topic, so have a search for the info you're after
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Welcome to the community As lethal pizzle stated, this has been discussed many times and if you search the forums you'll find many threads about this exact topic.

Digital DJing has opened the doors for some people who wouldn't have had the money or dedication (or both) to otherwise get into DJing. It allows people to replace skills that have to be learned over weeks/months with button pushing. It allows people to pirate both the software they're using and the music they're playing. It is viewed as a watered down version of DJing. Some people fight against others using something that's different to what they use, often using some kind of traditionalist argument.

Those are all of the potential reasons, basically. I judge a person on what their skill level is, what their knowledge is, how they come across - not by what equipment they use - although I will say that pretty much every talentless scrote on DJ Forums was a digital DJ using auto-sync and claiming "it gives me more time to get creative" which was utter horse shit judging by their actual mixes. But even then, that only shows that there can be bad apples, it doesn't mean that the whole bunch is bad.

Preaching to the converted on this site its for digital djs here.

Have a search (use the word djtechtools in your searches)

It's been pretty slain.

Welcome though, you won't be judged (too much) here
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

I'll take my spot in the choir...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

(we were trying to stay away from that riotto)
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by keithace View Post
    (we were trying to stay away from that riotto)
    My bad Keith, message deleted to prevent any unneeded arguments.

I'm not a sync user, but i don't have that much hate about people who are using it, but it's true that :

It allows people to replace skills that have to be learned over weeks/months with button pushing
    And imagine you are a non-digital DJ, and in a venue the new dj comes with his controller and starts mixing. Before even going in the depths of the analisys of his mixing skills, you can see he's not beatmatching.
    Then, and as it's the first things that any DJ will notice, some will just make their opinion after seeing that, and will be too narrow minded to listen to the mix and eventually the guy's skills.

In addition, people not using sync had to learn to beatmatch. It took them time.
    Why are they hating ? Because anyone picked up in the street could have achieved the same result pushing the "sync" button.
    And they want recognition for the time they spent learning beatmatching, that implies shit talking about sync users.

Furthermore, sync user don't have any valid argument for why are they using this function. Or at least i haven't heard any yet.
    Like Sigma said :
    "it gives me more time to get creative" which was utter horse shit

I'll finish by giving my personnal point of view. I dont hate sync users, but I feel like it's a way for them to hide a skill they don't have (even if i know, some people use sync but are able to beatmatch if needed)
    That's just what i have in mind when i see some friends relying on sync.

We are DJs, we are the party kings ffs And we don't want that status (that allows us to get some nice chicks) to be easily "reachable" by a simple button pressing.

No hate, just my point of view, don't lapidate me with midifighters

i got a s4 but just found it to easy,so i went and bought a cdj 850 and hooked it up to the s4 and now mix from cdj to s4,feels more real,i use the s4 as a source and mixer..but for the price u do get alot with the s4 the fx are awsome
    and also the looping function...

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast