Leaving the Bedroom - Page 2
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by EULA View Post
    It's all about who you know. If you really don't know anyone yet, start developing connections by getting in touch with local promoters and DJs, sending in promos and demos, etc. If you know someone in a band who gigs a lot, ask if you could warm up the crowd for them before they go on stage.
    ^ That's a great place to start . You might also want to try throwing your own party somewhere with a friend or two and try to document the party as much as possible so you can show club owners and promoters that you can throw successful parties as well as rock a crowd . It kind of sucks but you'll usually have to be a promoter as-well as a DJ until you establish yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by JesC View Post
    You have to sell yourself to whatever venue you want to dj at. Be it promo cd (hardly works), ask to guest dj (for free or drinks tix), have a friend that is a promoter or club djs.
    Or you could do what I do and become a club promoter and DJ the night yourself.
    Club promotion is really not as hard as you might think.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I got my start by working for the club promoters and meeting everyone they knew. If you can prove yourself as a "boots to the ground" kind of person, willing to promote and flyer and talk people up and get new people in the door then they might be more willing to give you a shot if you can take that same dedication to your DJing.

Club promotion, in general, is not highly difficult, it just requires good timing, location and dedication, and requires the ability to meet the goals the venue has set for you. If they will let you throw your own party then spin it too.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post

Club promotion, in general, is not highly difficult, it just requires good timing, location and dedication, and requires the ability to meet the goals the venue has set for you. If they will let you throw your own party then spin it too.
    That's 100% on point it really is about making the effort to go out to the right places and just introducing yourself to the right people .

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    I got my start by working for the club promoters and meeting everyone they knew. .
    Yeah dude. I always hook up DJs that help me promote.

Oh yeah... I forgot to mention. The most important attribute a promoter looks for in a DJ is their ability to pull in people. That ability is only loosely coupled with being a good technical DJ. A lot of DJs find this confusing at first.
    Last edited by B33SON; 12-03-2008 at 05:11 PM.
    Myspace: B33SON
    Myspace: B33 Events
    Facebook: B33SONB33
    YouTube: Mix Competition

Quote Originally Posted by B33SON View Post
    Yeah dude. I always hook up DJs that help me promote.
    That's the best payback we can get. I always try to introduce anyone around that helps me, and my friends pay me back. I'd like to think that knowing me is reward enough but even I have to step off the ego for a second
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Yeah, is there any dj's in the l.a. area that want to help me play at gigs?
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Dude, get promoters to fly me out there, I'll totally spin with you.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Mentor

Default Leaving the Bedroom

This is quoted from Ean's article:

“Microwave DJ” is a term applied to anyone who has not “paid their dues,” but because they own a laptop and thousands of MP3s, they are now qualified to play in a club

The full article can be found here http://remixmag.com/performance/dj_t...microwave_djs/

It's hard calling myself a DJ considering I've only been learning this art since August but that's what's going to happen. My first official gig will be played by the end of Februrary. I feel that my skills are half baked, my experience as a DJ close to nil but I took on the job any way for several reasons:

1) Networking opportunities
    2) The pay
    3) The experience
    4) I won't be the main attraction (other forms of entertainment at the venue)
    5) The gig will force me to practice and to reach a certain level of competence
    6) I'll continue to improve my skills up until the day of the gig
    7) I'll continue to improve my skills after the gig

Every single day since I've been hired, I wonder whether I should have taken this on or not for the same reason Ean points out. I'll be taking a job from a more competent DJ but even experienced DJs had to start somewhere.

My question for you guys is this: when should a bedroom DJ transition to professional gigs? Can you share your first experiences? Did you feel the same inadequacies that I'm feeling right now? What are your thoughts and feelings on the whole notion of the microwave DJ?

Tech Guru

i honestly don't have much respect for microwave djs I've met, because their priorities as a DJ are not where mine are at. It doesn't really bother me though because those kind of DJs only get so far in the game.

most microwave djs i've encountered focus their energies on all the superficial elements of the scene ie. they have a myspace, they mug for pictures, they have a dj moniker, they tell everyone they're a dj to look cool, they try to get gigs.... but when you ask them to give you a link to their work they have none because their actual skills are non-existant.

basically they want to be a DJ for the image, they can't be bothered putting the real work in to improve their technique because that isn't important to them. So by the same token, I can't respect anyone like that. In this day and age DJs are a dime a dozen, your not doing yourself any favours by not paying your dues.

I bedroom DJ'd for over 2 years before i tried getting gigs. I never started DJing to look cool or make a buck, it just started as a way to pass time by myself or with buddies on the weekend.
    Last edited by wrong chris; 01-23-2009 at 10:28 PM.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast