Leaving the Bedroom - Page 4
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    If some guy has been spinning for 10 years aand has a huge name and just shows up and plays music with no logic, thought or skill, he gets no respect from me.
    *cough*BennyBenassi*cough*

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Wuz View Post
    It takes longer but you can acheive a crisper texture by oven baking.

LOL !!!

nice one, wuz !

Make sure u play that Records Back by Hardwaks, etc..

tried to link it from beatport, but dont have time figure it out - BBB tonite. out

p.s. jk, btw

Tech Mentor

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the positive support. And yes, I'll post something up in the mix section next week.

It's silly really. On my quest for gear, I would ask any DJ that I came across for their recommendations and then explain what I wanted to do. Many times I'd get responses such as "If you're not using turntables, you're not a DJ", "If you can't beat match manually, you're wack", "Regardless of what you do, you need to start with turntables to pay your dues" I'm sure all of you have heard this one point or another.

I've disregard all these comments because I know that with time I'll 1) Be equally as good as them if not become better 2) I don't care what they say.

With DJTT it's different. You guys matter. It's DJTT that introduced me to controllerism. It's DJTT that's encouraging me and inspiring me to become a DJ. In this environment, I'm not scared of asking question.

I guess that's why for my first gig I feel that I need the stamp of approval from DJTT. It's stupid but you guys are awesome! *hug

Okay now...how about your first gigs. How long did it take before you decided that you were ready for your first gig? How did this go? What's the most important thing you learned from that gig?

Mods, does this need to be posted in a new thread?

Tech Wizard

to be honest i was always really shy before my first gig. i started to play out when ive nticd that i can do things better then the people i see playing whilst im going out. especially when you know the songs they are playing its really easy to tell if they are doing a good job or not.
    im not sure what genre youre playing but go to the events where likeminded guys and djs are and you'll get the feel of it.
    HOWEVER always consider the fact that a nightclub is NOT your bedroom. as a midi dj it might not be that much of a problem, but if youre playing dvs etc. it happens alot that the mixer is fucked, the turntables are wack etc. i usually have a few tunes ready to start off with to get used to the setup and the sound and start messing around with my tricketytricks. so dont judge a dj if it might just be the venue. (especially when hes using turntables and no pc)

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

My foray into DJing was really coincidental and accidental. I wanted to be a DJ just so I could spin different music, cause, well, the DJs at the local clubs were terrible. I was tired of the same old school goth/punk mixed very poorly with metal and EBM. So I picked up some D labels to put together mixes and it came with a shareware version of eJay. I just started playing around with it, getting the ideas behind beatmatching, mixing, etc..

I did this for about 5 or 6 months, recording mixes, giving them to anyone that would listen, built my mixing to anything I could. And a friend was running an event at another club. He let me show up an hour before the club opened and I'd get to practice on the decks. Another friend of mine let me show up every Saturday for two months and taught me to spin vinyl.

I spun my first gig on a prepared set and I rocked it. It was great. But I worked every day for hours to get there, and the people who were there loved it. It really just comes down to your comfort behind whatever medium you're behind.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    *cough*BennyBenassi*cough*
    I would never hate on Benny Benassi, he brought sidechain compression to the masses. Everyone tried to copy his sound after Satisfaction hit.

EDIT:

Back on topic, I played my first "gig" about a year of DJ'ing (using a VCI at that point in time). It was an isolated event, basically a friend who had a night was wondering if I wanted to play for an hour to try it out, nothing major. I haven't played a real gig since.

But since, I have played a number of houseparties etc, which are really fun because there's no pressure so if I mess up it's not a huge deal at all, and I can be rather experimental in my mixing.

I have my first real gig coming up and I don't really feel ready for it, because right now I'm undergoing a period of transition in terms of my setup (more and more changing my MIDI assignments/translations to better faciliate 3-4 deck mixing). I might just play out on two decks only for the first couple nights to get used to the sound and everything in the club.

I'm rather insecure I guess haha, but I think after playing for an hour, I'll be back in the zone. It's just the anticipation that kills you!

That and, I sort of think the longer that you DJ in your bedroom (and not in clubs), the expectations you build of yourself become bigger and bigger. At least for me...like even if I pull off a nice mix, it's just never good enough, there's always more things I could be doing (or less!) to make the mix perfect. At least that's my attitude!
    Last edited by miyuru; 01-25-2009 at 03:03 PM.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by miyuru View Post
    That and, I sort of think the longer that you DJ in your bedroom (and not in clubs), the expectations you build of yourself become bigger and bigger. At least for me...like even if I pull off a nice mix, it's just never good enough, there's always more things I could be doing (or less!) to make the mix perfect. At least that's my attitude!
    feeling you

Tech Wizard

+1

Quote Originally Posted by miyuru View Post
    I sort of think the longer that you DJ in your bedroom (and not in clubs), the expectations you build of yourself become bigger and bigger. At least for me...like even if I pull off a nice mix, it's just never good enough, there's always more things I could be doing (or less!) to make the mix perfect. At least that's my attitude!
    I am my worst critic.
    Whenever i feel i've had a banging bedroom session i've never recorded it.
    Whenever i record something i feel nervous about the end product and when i listen back i'm never happy.

Maybe because when it's live its all well and good to have imperfections - makes it real.
    But when i listen back to a recorded set i nitpick.
    < Progressive | Trance | Full On Psy | Liquid DnB >
    < Xone:1D:22:2D + Vestax PadOne >

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast