Leaving the Bedroom
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Leaving the Bedroom

Hi all, I feel as if I'm just about ready to stop being a bedroom dj and start mixing at clubs. How does one (or how did you yourself!) break out of the bedroom and start getting real gigs?

good question!

first what i did was to practice alot. the goal was to play set of 5 hours with minimal erors. when i succeed that i start to ask people do they know someone who organises gigs. when i find that person i give him my promo set that i made i tell him if he thinks that i am good he can call me any time to play in some club!
    and something like that happened just week after my meeting with him. and after that if you are good people will start to call you and all after that is pure music!

Tech Mentor

I would agree, just talk to promoters they always organize the events and find the people to play. Also just going to clubs and asking them if you can play there.
    Thank Ya!!!

the way to break out of the bedroom is to do just that. Break out of that bedroom. Get out, meet people, become a regular at a club, hang out with (or at least chat up) other DJs, promoters, bartenders, club owners, anyone in the scene. Invite ppl to the afterparty at your house and spin for/with them. Get it out there that u can rock a set. Promoters get a thousand promo mixes a week. Find a way to make them listen to yours.

I've got all the hook-ups i need. I can play out as soon as i feel confident with my skills. I mean, im not terrible; i have some clean mixes, but I want to be 100% all the time before I throw myself out there.
    Last edited by aiden; 05-13-2008 at 05:50 PM. Reason: post script

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I was lucky enough to be friends with DJs and promoters when I was getting into everything in Albany, and got my start booking shows. When I wanted to be a DJ I got a shareware copy of eJay for free and practiced my ass off.

I made a shit ton of mixes, gave them to everyone I knew: friends, promoters, DJs, etc.. Then I bugged the hell out of a friend of mine for a gig. He wanted me to show up to the venue an hour early and just screw around on the gear so I could prove I knew what I was doing. I did that, he gave me a shot, and, as they say, the rest is history :-)

So, do just that. Make friendly with the DJs and promoters at gigs. Make mixes, and push them. This is the day of the internet, so you can get data aaround the world really fast and efficiently. Do it. Also, be prepared to do it for free (though never offer) and take the opening sets (though never ask).

Go to the nights, bring friends, show that people will come with you. Make business cards, make a website, do whatever you can do promote yourself in the best way possible.

And then be prepared to be rejected, insulted and turned down at every turn. :-)

Read your audience, too. By that I mean the promoter and the DJs. Some promoters want their asses kissed, some don't want to bother with anyone without some balls behind em. Some DJs will nurture and help the younger crowds, some are the most arrogant, self-aggrandizing bastards you'll ever meet.

So, well, yeah, that's a start.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

You might want to think about playing parties for friends & such and get some real-world experience in an environment that's friendlier and more understanding when you make mistakes. Things come up in public that just don't happen at home, and a lot of professionalism isn't just playing well but dealing with crap.
    Steve Boyett
    Podcasts: Groovelectric | Podrunner | Podrunner: Intervals
    Traktor user

Throwing house parties is a really good start.

I started by having dance parties in my basement, which later lead to an invite to DJ for a going away party for my friend at a local club. That gig impressed the manager who offered me a weekly spot. It was Monday nights, but it was a start, and being modest helps get your foot in the door.

Another option is to either get your own PA, borrow one, or rent one. I built one with different pieces off of Craig's List. A PA will expand your venue options. We have a lot of bars that offer the occasional live music, but it's usually bands that have their own sound system. If you can find/borrow/rent a PA, then you can organize a dance party at your favorite night spot (provided you clear it with them first). There is also less pressure at a place like this, rather than a full time club where the patrons are expecting more.

Getting out and making friends in the local entertainment industry is really the best thing you can do. These people will hit you up later when they need to fill an opening set. Just being patient, but persistent, will get you pretty far.

Good luck!

Tech Wizard

Default Leaving the Bedroom

I've been a mobile dj for awhile now and i don't think i'm to bad! Im wanting to play some tunes in clubs how could i approach this?

Fizz Styles

Tech Wizard

It's all about who you know. If you really don't know anyone yet, start developing connections by getting in touch with local promoters and DJs, sending in promos and demos, etc. If you know someone in a band who gigs a lot, ask if you could warm up the crowd for them before they go on stage.

Now you question is how do I get in, well thats is a hard one. Your going to hear this phrase or something similar to it...."Pay your Dues" Question is how do you do that...

You have to sell yourself to whatever venue you want to dj at. Be it promo cd (hardly works), ask to guest dj (for free or drinks tix), have a friend that is a promoter or club djs. Make a myspace page with some demo mixes with info of where you have played and pix of your setup and you using it. Go to club where you want to play at, so you become a familiar face, not just some bedroom dj that want to get his feet wet and doesnt know what music is played at the venue.

All you have to do is get your foot in the door once your in, you have to show the promoters/club owner/bar managers/other djs that you have what it takes to play at club. Ean did a blog on the main page not to long ago "How to get gigs..."

Goodluck
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast