The new guy

Thread: The new guy

Tech Convert

Default The new guy

Hey everyone so i've been checking out this forum for a while and finally decided to sign up. Thought i would start up by just saying im 17 and i've been djing for a year now solely using my computer and traktor and just played my first real gig or whatever last night for a friends house party and it went well so im thinking of finally getting myself some hardware. I was thinking of getting a Kontrol S2 hopefully for christmas and then build up gear from there. I already have a macbook pro 13" from this year and my friend and i are planning on getting some PA speakers together and i am thinking of getting AIAIAI TMA-1s for headphones eventually too as well as a midi fighter or something soonish as well and then just go from there, hopefully get some more gigs and get into clubs eventually.

Just thought i would start this thread looking for any opinions on all i've said for my equipment choices or any other tips that could help a young dj starting out.
    Thanks guys.

There's already plenty of threads about what gear to start with, check them out for further suggestions. But the S2 is a good controller to begin with. Go for it. I've myself never used the TMA-1s, but from what I've heard on here they're good. Look a few pages back and you'll see plenty of headphonethreads...

Tech Convert

Alright thanks. Yeah i've been checking out all the gear threads and stuff just wanted to get a more general beginner talk thread going and see what people thought of my plans etc

gear doesn't make the DJ. Every piece of gear you mentioned is directly from djtechtools. I'd recommend going to a few stores, and looking elsewhere online, and trying out different gear/controllers, and not just plumping for whatever this site recommends.

While the S2 is a nice piece of kit, it's important to remember that there is no 'best' controller/software, a friend of mine rocks out using nothing other than a prodipe 25c mapped creatively that he bought from a charity shop (and that's about as budget as you can get)