First gig coming up... Scared LOL
    Tech Convert

Default First gig coming up... Scared LOL

Sup guys, been lurking around these forums for a while now, but never signed up but anyway -

To make a long story short, I am from the metal scene, and I started producing dubstep about a year and a half ago, and I started to get a little bit of a solid presence in the filth circuit as a producer, and then it occurred to me that I would have to learn how to DJ if I ever wanted to perform what I write... so I started to practice with Virtual DJ and a bootleg P.O.S. Numark IDJ3 that I got off craigslist for 80 bucks. I've been using that thing for the last 8 months DJ'ing in my studio for a crowd of no one and got extremely comfortable with it.

Well... I got signed and then came the artist bookings... :eek::eek::eek:

So I have my first show coming up on the 29th at a club in downtown and it's sold out. I am one of 2 headliners with 3 opening acts, and I have some questions so I don't ruin my rep right out the gate...

I am pretty confident with my ability to DJ... I've never used a DJM-700 before... or CDJ's for that matter, but I got a MBP and a Rane SL4 so at least I still have my visual points of reference... and I am aware that SSL is a world apart from Virtual DJ but I have a lot of time in Itch so I'm not that worried about it. I plan on renting a CDJ set up for the week before the event so that I'll really be comfortable with it... at least enough to do K.I.S.S. transitions... its my first show lol.

I had a million questions geared up but of course I'm here and I can't think of any... the thing that is really bugging me is what do you do if an opener drops a song that you plan on using in like a live mashup, or some sort of pre-practiced routine that lasts 5 minutes? Is it okay to drop the song again?

I'm really into respect with other performers, I've read a bunch of etiquette threads and articles but they never really seemed to apply to the artist performance side... always seemed to be about opening for big acts and playing in dance clubs before 10pm... so any tips on making my fellow performers happy, besides communication

I don't know I'm just nervous as hell, I've done dozens of metal shows but I've never DJ'd at a club before... let alone a venue at a dubstep show where people are paying to see me perform my songs... its freaking me out LOL - so any tips for the first gig situation on the EDM/Dubstep front? I was picked up to drop the filthiest of the filthy so if that helps... cool lol.

But like the thread says... I'm pretty scared haha not being from the EDM scene, I just don't want to mess up with my colleagues. I am however 100% confident that my set is going lay down some pain, so at least thats not the issue,

Thanks in advance

WATTSON - Gangsta Gangsta

How much of your set will your own tracks?
    Don't worry about the nerves, it's good to be nervous! Just don't get too drunk to compensate...
    Mixes: www.mixcloud.com/djalexwild/
    Production: www.soundcloud.com/alexwild
    DJM500 : X1 : MBP 15" 2.53 GHz 4 GB RAM : HD25SP : MASCHINE

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Wild View Post
    How much of your set will your own tracks?
    Don't worry about the nerves, it's good to be nervous! Just don't get too drunk to compensate...
    8 originals everyone who knows me knows, 4 originals people haven't heard yet, and 6 remixes I've done. The rest is gonna be a freestyle of Cyberoptics, Torqux&Twist, Bong, Persist, etc... and 2 planned tempo changes, one from 140bpm to 87.5, then a 87.5 to 150, then back to 140...

I have 2 mainstream songs I plan on dropping, the new Excision tune "Crowd Control" and the Killsonic remix of "Crush on You", both are included in the mashups.

I liked your track 'Fear' btw, it's not a sound I've been following recently, but I liked it.
    Mixes: www.mixcloud.com/djalexwild/
    Production: www.soundcloud.com/alexwild
    DJM500 : X1 : MBP 15" 2.53 GHz 4 GB RAM : HD25SP : MASCHINE

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Wild View Post
    I liked your track 'Fear' btw, it's not a sound I've been following recently, but I liked it.
    Haha biggups man thanks!

Hey man I checked out your tracks, sick and I'm not even a huge dupstep fan!

Following you on SC.

About your gig, it's completely normal to be nervous everybody gets nervous, just take it easy follow your set that you have planned and it will all work out. I was shitting myself at my first club gig, but it all went fine and it was a blast.

About playing a track that someone else has played, don't worry about that, at Ultra last weekend Alesso, and SHM both played Level's and nobody cared. Also I'm sure you won't play the track/mash up the same way the opener did right, so nobody will care either.

Good luck mate.
    2013 MBPr 13" | X1 mk2 | TSP 2 | A6 | DJM 900 nexus | HD 25 UBER Aluminum's | Technics sl1210 mk2's | Logic Pro 9

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin V View Post
    Hey man I checked out your tracks, sick and I'm not even a huge dupstep fan!

Following you on SC.

About your gig, it's completely normal to be nervous everybody gets nervous, just take it easy follow your set that you have planned and it will all work out. I was shitting myself at my first club gig, but it all went fine and it was a blast.

About playing a track that someone else has played, don't worry about that, at Ultra last weekend Alesso, and SHM both played Level's and nobody cared. Also I'm sure you won't play the track/mash up the same way the opener did right, so nobody will care either.

Good luck mate.

Thanks man! That makes me feel a hell of a lot better no shit!