Is it "correct" to play a mash-up like this?

Default Is it "correct" to play a mash-up like this?

Hi,

Perusing the Internet for musical gems, I stumbled across this mash-up.

My questions are probably a noob questions, so please don't thrash me for possibly being ignorant.

Is it wrong or incorrect DJ "etiquette" to download this or similar free mash-ups and play them? Is the mash-up producer breaking copyright rules?

scamo
    Skooppa - the revolution is beginning!

You want the best FX jogs on the S4? Then try this mapping!

Our Mixes: Mixcloud - Soundcloud
    Hehe...yeah. We're just beginning.

I am pretty sure that as long as they aren't making money from it, it is ok, but not sure if it is perfectly legal. DJ Earworm, Girl Talk, etc. release mash ups made from tons of samples, but cannot sell them unless they were to get all samples cleared and royalty agreements from the owners of the music

Madeon (young guy on YouTube) after the fact got DeadMau5's thumbs up for a remix he did of Raise Your Weapon, and has made a name for himself doing mash ups.

On the same line ghettofunk in the UK just released an album of songs for free that is all older songs remixed like Clapton's Cocaine, The Clash's Last Train, Glen Miller's In The Mood, etc. and I'm positive none were ok'd by the music's owners.

I don't think it would be legal to make money from playing these in a performance/gig though.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by VanGogo View Post
    I am pretty sure that as long as they aren't making money from it, it is ok, but not sure if it is perfectly legal. DJ Earworm, Girl Talk, etc. release mash ups made from tons of samples, but cannot sell them unless they were to get all samples cleared and royalty agreements from the owners of the music

Madeon (young guy on YouTube) after the fact got DeadMau5's thumbs up for a remix he did of Raise Your Weapon, and has made a name for himself doing mash ups.

On the same line ghettofunk in the UK just released an album of songs for free that is all older songs remixed like Clapton's Cocaine, The Clash's Last Train, Glen Miller's In The Mood, etc. and I'm positive none were ok'd by the music's owners.

I don't think it would be legal to make money from playing these in a performance/gig though.
    If you own the originals to all the songs and get this dudes permission I don't see why you could use it in a set.

Tech Wizard

Maybe I'm missing something, but why is playing a mash-up during a set any different than playing any other piece of copyrighted music? You're telling me that everytime some frosted hair douche drops Sandstorm he has a letter of express written consent from Darude in his back pocket?

Quote Originally Posted by mablack View Post
    If you own the originals to all the songs and get this dudes permission I don't see why you could use it in a set.
    Sure you ment to say "couldn't".

Not sure if the lawyers/courts would agree or not, but sounds like a valid argument.
    I'm also pretty sure that for most DJ's playing in bars and local clubs it would never be a problem, but that would also depend on the country you are in as some are stricter than others.

Anyone with a better knowledge of the music copyright laws want to chime in?

Tech Guru

It is perfectly legal. Essentially DJ's just play "mashups" all night, they mash one song into the next. The difference here is that it's a single track that was produced to have more than one copyrighted track. As long as your not charging money for it or selling CDs with the single etc..., it's fine.

As far as ethical well you can decide that for yourself. If you really feel like your robbing money form a starving artist(s) then why not go download the originals from iTunes/Beatport/Juno.

These tracks are everywhere and they're a great way for DJs to make a name for themselves and gain loyal followers by offering banging free tracks.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2, 2X Stanton STR8-80, 2X Denon DN-S700, Akai APC40 + APC20, DDM4000, KRKRokit 8, HD25-II, iPad (Touch OSC)

Tech Wizard

I think the bigger question is "is it ok to play someone else's mashup in your set?". I think it's perfectly fine as long as you don't pretend it's yours or worse, that you're mashing it live on the fly.

^ this
    Bars pay a fee to be allowed to play music in their establishment. If you go and spin there, you and the music you are mixing, are covered under this fee. Nothing is stopping you legally from playing this dudes, or madeons mashup un the club. But, if someone comes up to high five you for that wicked mash you just performed, you had better tell them that it wasn't yours or the DJ gods will become infuriated and your needle will skip all night.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

I was also thinking, if you paid for the original music in the mash-up and the mash-up producer is also giving his work to the public for free, then you are clear to play the mash-up in a set. Of course, the mash-up producer should get the credit, where credit is due. Definitely. Especially when it is a gem, like the one posted above.

scamo
    Skooppa - the revolution is beginning!

You want the best FX jogs on the S4? Then try this mapping!

Our Mixes: Mixcloud - Soundcloud
    Hehe...yeah. We're just beginning.

Tech Guru

there are many albums that have been sold that include samples that where never cleared. for example pauls botique by the beastie boys. its a very grey area mashups are. If what is created cant be used as a subsitute for the origional ur kinda ok. the grey album is an exaple of the music industries stupidity. it couldnt be sold cuz it sampled beatles works. wat a joke dj dangermouse and both record companies could of made money instead they put there heads up there ass's