Traveling with a Controller
    Tech Mentor

Default Traveling with a Controller

Hey guys just a quick question. In January I will be moving to Europe for about 4 months and I am travelling with all my DJing things. Only problem is that I have never flown with my gear. I will be taking my S4 with all the cables and necessities, however what kind of process do I have to go through to get them to London. I want to carry them on the plane as I do not have the travel case. I only have a Magma bag and decksaver and things. Anyone know the hassel I will have to go through, or will they simply let me carry them on the plane no questions asked?

Tech Mentor

I just traveled via plan to chicago from Philadelphia with my controller in my backpack...had it right on the place like a laptop but i didnt even have to take it out of my bag to go through the scanner like you do with a laptop. No reason that international travel should be any different but dont quote me....
    | 13" MBP (mid 2010) | Traktor Pro 2.0.3 | Audio 8DJ | Kontrol X1 | Akai LPD8 | 2 x CDJ-400 | Allen & Heath Xone 42 | AIAIAI TMA-1 | 2xRokit KRK 6SE WHITE |

Your not doing anything illegal, worst they can do is ask what it is and ask you to show them it.

If it was me i'd be more worried about them looking at content on my laptop, ive been on some crazy scary stuff when im in and drunk with the mates.
    Last edited by Cook; 12-12-2011 at 05:40 PM.
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Tech Mentor

Youre right with the illegal thing but I mean flying is a pain now. I mean you cant even travel with bottled water or shampoo so I didnt know if they would let me travel with a huge electronics board you know? But it sounds like I can travel with it pretty easy.

You can travel wih laptops etc cant you?
    pretty sure they are huge electronic boards :P

I've flown internationally many times with the S4 and other controllers.

There shouldn't be any issue about the S4 besides its size. As an electrical item there's no problem with the S4, you just scan it separately as you would a laptop. It does bring some extra attention sometimes as most of them don't know what it is, and its quite funny. I normally just show them some DJ scratching hand gestures and point at the controller and then they nod and let it through, lol.

The problem I would be a little concerned about is its size. Some airlines can be quite funny about carry on baggage size allowances. I would check with the airline that you flying with to double check that your bag will pass the size restrictions. This is the issue I had which in the end was the final decision for me selling my S4 and getting the Twitch.
    2013 MBPr 13" | X1 mk2 | TSP 2 | A6 | DJM 900 nexus | HD 25 UBER Aluminum's | Technics sl1210 mk2's | Logic Pro 9

i flew to seattle with my laptop, X1 and LPD8. i just pulled it out with my laptop proudly cause its awesome mixing gear. but i wasnt harassed or anything about it. just went on my way.
    Dell 2.3 Ghz 4 Gb Laptop - Windows 7 Premium
    Numark Stealth - Kontrol X1 - Akai LPD8 - APC20 - Novation Launchpad - Numark Mixdeck
    Traktor Pro 2 - Ableton Live 8.100000000000000

When you fly to or from Ibiza, the staff there already knows this kind of equipment and lets you pass through without any hassle.

At some airports my gears was checked for explosives...just a standard procedure. It wont cause any problems but a little delay for you, so plan ahead

Tech Mentor

I took my twitch interstate with me. Compact so it fit comfortable in my carry on. Just had to check it through security like I would my laptop.

Practiced a set I had while I was on the plane. Wasn't comfortable though, and the person beside me wasn't too happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Arbite View Post
    I took my twitch interstate with me. Compact so it fit comfortable in my carry on. Just had to check it through security like I would my laptop.

Practiced a set I had while I was on the plane. Wasn't comfortable though, and the person beside me wasn't too happy.
    Last year on the plane to romania, i spent the full flight working on a remix, and the acapella just wouldnt sit right, im sure the guy mustve heard the same loop about 500 times lol!