Allen + Heath DB4: Innofader Installation - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Excellent write up, thank you for taking the time to share the tutorial.

I don't scratch at all and I'd really like to change the 4line faders. Nothing wrong with the OEMs but you've gotta admit, those innofaders are heavenly. I'm just too worried to take the db4 apart and adding things internally, any tips and suggestions before diving in?

Btw, the DB4 is a beast of a mixer. It's the best mixer I have ever used, and I couldn't be happier with it. Cheers

I just did this yesterday & tried with 2 different Innofaders, anyone else having issues when doing fast scratches like crabs & flares? I did some extensive testing & the mixer doesn't seem to respond well to fast movements. Very disappointing

Tech Wizard

Yea many have complained about the cross fader curve of the db4. Not for that reason, I sold my db4 and got the xone92, wisest choice I've ever made. Cheers

hm, I just traded my 92 for a DB4, what reasons did you get rid of your for? I'd love to know what to keep an eye out for

Tech Wizard

The db4 is a decent mixer by my standards, Id say its currently the strongest digital mixer out of all the garbage digital mixers on the market. But I personally prefer an analog circuity mixer, in terms of sheer sound quality (assuming you have a great sounding source, which in my case is the RME UCX) the xone92 is unmatched, I challenge anyone to do a direct A/B comparison of the 92 against the db4 and dare that person to say the db4 sounds better.

The build quality of the db4 is a joke compared to the 92, I still cringe at the db4's engage buttons (cue, fx on, menu, etc)--they feel so cheap, Id even say its possibly the cheapest feeling mixer Ive ever used, literally feels like its going to either crack or somehow get stuck at any moment. The 4band EQ vs the 3band EQ is more of a preference I suppose, but wtf is up with the 12'o clock position on the db4, the 92's tactile feedback at 12 feels supremely snappy and locked on, I always had to double check on the db4 to verify that I was at 0db and a lot of times I even found the position to be slightly past 12'o clock due to the 'give' and 'play' at that position.

Sure the db4 has a vast array of effects, but I found myself only using delay and reverb--I tried, I really tried to make the other 'effects' usable, with no luck in the end. The 92 may not have all the bells and whistles of on-board effects but the 2 channels on the left side with a SEND/RETURN function is far more ideal and works perfectly with an external effector, in fact I think its F***ING AWESOME with the Korg KP3+.

The Input Matrix along with a dedicated loop function on the db4 was a genius idea as It was originally intended for vinyl DJs. But what is the point if the phono inputs on the DB4 are weak as hell and sound like garbage? For more info on this, google it and you'll read the heart breaking truth. The line inputs have a problem as well, try setting the gain at 0db, you'd already be hitting "PK!"--good luck mixing another or even a 3rd track without staying fully red on the main VU meter, I had to adjust every channel very carefully just so that I don't risk throwing insultingly loud distortions. Ok fine, the line inputs can be managed and set but still, do I really want to sit there and worry about my line gains when other mixer's gains are properly set from the factory?

Those are just a few issues out of a few more. At this point, Im really finding it hard to find anything wrong with the xone92, it is one hell of a mixer, only thing I don't like about the 92 is the tap tempo and lack of midi functions but those are easily addressed in large number of methods. I kick myself in the mouth because I mentioned that the db4 was the best mixer, but out of all honesty; those were my initial impressions until I began to use it extensively.

I feel that A&H rushed the db4, it could have been the best mixer but I feel that they released a mixer that is clearly not ready. Have you been on the xone forum for the db4? Ghost-town...With more complains than positive reviews, I'm not surprised with all the complaining--it is a mixer with a price tag of just under $3,000, you'd expect a bit of 'quality'. its a shame. Oh, and we can rule out the production location of my db4 as it was made in the UK.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Darken; 06-26-2014 at 11:32 AM.

Tech Wizard

Anyone know where I can find a dark grey faceplate for the 92 rotary version? I'm looking to replace the current silver plate to the dark grey.

Are you from OC? I think you're the guy I just traded my Xone92 with, his setup is exactly the same as you described

Tech Wizard

Where is OC? I am in Northern California, are you referring to orange county? Thats far from where I am

Tech Mentor

just ordered an innofader for my xone:3D. I'm not a scratcher but I use a lot of cuts in my mixing.

I haven't played on on the db4 yet but played quite a bit on the 64, 92, and played a little on a db2. the db2 sounded just as good as any A&H I used, it was in my house for three days.

The line faders were buttery compared to the 3d, mine might be old though. I run outboard effect through a red sound box, it works well but it's easy to overload things with it.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by teknik1200 View Post
    just ordered an innofader for my xone:3D. I'm not a scratcher but I use a lot of cuts in my mixing.

I haven't played on on the db4 yet but played quite a bit on the 64, 92, and played a little on a db2. the db2 sounded just as good as any A&H I used, it was in my house for three days.

The line faders were buttery compared to the 3d, mine might be old though. I run outboard effect through a red sound box, it works well but it's easy to overload things with it.
    What are you talking about, an analogue mixer and a digital mixer will always sound different.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast