Headphones?

Thread: Headphones?

Tech Convert

Default Headphones?

Hello,
    I've been trying to decide what headphones to get for christmas. Ive been thinking about the TMA-1s but i have no idea what to look for in headphones. i also cant get anything too expensive. Please direct me to headphones i should get. I use a vestax typhoon with traktor if that helps. Sorry for the lack of info but i dont know too much about headphones.
    Thanks,
    Shawn

Typically in the studio or DJ'ing you want something with the flatest response, because you need to hear the music exactly how it was recorded. Otherwise you might start EQ'ing it to sound better not realizing that it's only in your cans that it sounds that way.

I've done some looking online and it seems like guys on the headphone forums talk endlessly about how awesome the Sony MDR-V6 and MDR-7506 are. These headphones have not changed in 25 years and a lot of people say they're the "industry standard" and are still used in recording studios worldwide. The best part is that you can have them for around $65-$75 US.

I was looking at the TMA-1's as well, but I don't see as many raving reviews as I do for the MDR's, and they're half the price so I'm sold.

Tech Convert

Awesome! Thanks for the tip and I'll check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by irpwnu2 View Post
    Awesome! Thanks for the tip and I'll check them out.
    No worries.

I'll probably pick some up as a Christmas gift to myself.

The crappy thing is that they're more expensive here in Toronto. $130 at my local store. Thank god for online ordering. Still can't get them as cheap as my US friends that don't pay for shipping though.

Tech Guru

I have a pair of 7506's and if you can find them for 65-70 bucks are tight on cash, get them they are great. I also have VModa Crossfades and right now Radion Shack (if your in the US) has the on sale for 99.00. They are awesome! Prior to these I was using HDJ-2000's and this is what I compare the Vmoda's too. I'd put these up against any headphones and for 99.00 it's a steal. Choice #2 would be the 7506's
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

My faves:

1. Sennheiser HD-25 (not sp…but I or II doesn't make a difference)
    2. Sony MDR-7506 or MDR-V6 (they're the same thing)

I don't think anything else is at the right price to really be a contender, but I'd think about the HDJ-500s if I wanted something that looked cooler, and I want to try they Beyerdynamic DT1350 if I can find them somewhere, mostly because I've been impressed with some of their microphones and they look good.

Tech Mentor

I had this problem a few weeks ago and after a looong time researching i went with the sennheiser hd-25 mk2 adidas ones, cos they look cool and all the reviews for djs are pretty good