Solutions? Changing BPM on the Fly
    Tech Mentor

Default Solutions? Changing BPM on the Fly

Ok, so thus far, I've always set a master BPM when ever I've done a routine. But that's a bit limiting. It would be cool to be able to slow down and speed up the BPM on the fly between tracks; so that tracks that sound bad when you change their original BPM won't have to be synced to a set BPM (I hope that made sense lol). I've done some experimenting but nothing amazing come out it yet. I would love to hear what everyone else is doing when it comes to this.

Personally I've tried slowly changing the Master BPM up or down to where i want it to go. Any other ideas?

Henri

Tech Mentor

echo/freeze if it can not get mixed.

Pitch faders.

Nah, just kidding. It's one of the annoying things about sync that most people don't think of until they've tried it. Props for trying, 'cuz, well, a set that's all at the same BPM gets boring.

I've found 3 solutions.

1: map some buttons to pitch up, pitch down, bend up, and bend down. You probably want "fine" as the resolution if they're buttons.

2: map a pitch fader.

3: use deck-specific controls (like the pitch faders on some of the all-in-one units or the pre-mapped controls on the X1) and actually select a master deck other than the master tempo. Yes, it'll still send a midi clock while you're doing that.

I find option 3 is the one I use most often.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I use option 1 above. Sometimes if it's a more drastic BPM change I'll mix into a song that might have a short break in the beginning make sure the outgoing song is done towards the end of that break then 0 out the tempo when the beat kicks back in. I have a button mapped to 0 each deck out.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Mentor

hmmmm I think I will play around with the idea of option 3, I like the echo freeze as well but too heavy of a reliance on that would make the mix repetitive. I'll play around with these ideas, maybe mix some of them together, and let you guys know if anything sticks.

Thanks for all the input everyone.

Henri

I adjust the track to it's original BPM if I have to after beatmatching and transitioning. Do it slowly. If keylock is on no one will notice if it's within +/- 3-4% and you do it over a few measures.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Frank112916 View Post
    I adjust the track to it's original BPM if I have to after beatmatching and transitioning. Do it slowly. If keylock is on no one will notice if it's within +/- 3-4% and you do it over a few measures.
    Hm, I'm talking about BPM changes such as 140 to like 100. Would that be able to be applied in that situation?

Tech Mentor

well technically you shouldnt mix from 140 to 100. That is what I've been reading on forums or other platforms.

Quote Originally Posted by Henrimartel View Post
    Hm, I'm talking about BPM changes such as 140 to like 100. Would that be able to be applied in that situation?
    What are you spinning?

You shouldn't need to make such big changes. Your songs should gradually build/fall in tempo, not abruptly change. If you NEED to make the shift, either a) make/buy a transition track or b) Take two 4 bar percussion loops from each song, as you slow down one track, slowly close the loop down to say 1/8th or 1/16th beats to keep tempo up a bit, bring in the new track and release the loop on it, then mix out when the verse or hook hits. I'm assuming you're mixing top 40's/open format to have such big changes.
    Last edited by Frank112916; 12-13-2011 at 07:20 PM.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Frank112916 View Post
    What are you spinning?

You shouldn't need to make such big changes. Your songs should gradually build/fall in tempo, not abruptly change. If you NEED to make the shift, either a) make/buy a transition track or b) Take two 4 bar percussion loops from each song, as you slow down one track, slowly close the loop down to say 1/8th or 1/16th beats to keep tempo up a bit, bring in the new track and release the loop on it, then mix out when the verse or hook hits. I'm assuming you're mixing top 40's/open format to have such big changes.
    actually its a dub/moombahton track by Popeska (Fairly unknown kid). The only reason I'm asking this is cuz I recently saw Porter Robinson do it with the Knife party remix of unison. He had a couple of things to pull it off and i just couldn't figure them out.