Back to back routing challenge

Default Back to back routing challenge

Hi Guys!

So, I've been playing with a friend of mine a few times now and we're getting closer and closer to the ideal setup, but we're having a routing challenge ahead.

Ok, so what are the tools available:
    2 laptops with traktor scratch pro 2
    2 CDJ's (DVS)
    2 turntables (DVS)
    2 Kontrol X1's
    2 headphones
    1 audio 8 dj
    1 denon x1600

The ideal setup would be where we both have 2 dedicated channels of the mixer with both our cue-preview in headphones of our 2 channels plus the master output of course.

We got this far:

1 DVS setup (A) using the Audio 8 DJ on internal mixing, feeding 1 channel in the mixer. Using a midi cable from the mixer to the audio 8 DJ and switching 2 EQ channels to midi to control his EQ's in internal while still have the mixer feeling
    1 DVS setup (B) using the two other channels of the mixer for external mixing. Routed the master to an unused channel in setup 1 for his cueing using the cueing options of the Audio 8 dj. The other setup using the normal cueing possibilities of the mixer.

This actually worked almost perfectly, except the master channel of course was routed into setup A, giving some nice delay-reverb.

Does anyone have a better suggestion in how to setup a back to back setup using these components where both have their own cueing into the headphones?
    2x A. Audio HTD 4.5 | Sony MDR 7506 | Xone:4D | Sony Vaio E i7 | 2x KRK 8 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Launchpad | NI Maschine | NI Komplete 8 | Ableton Live 9

What ive done before, make a playlist up using yours & his songs and play off the same laptop.

Using my DJM900 as the soundcard and CDJ2k's in HID, along with control vinyl and his x1
    used a splitter cable to have two headphones in at the same time.
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Yeah, we can use a splitter in this setup too, except that wouldn't be the ideal solution. We notice it's far more creative if you have your own cueing so you can put parts of tracks into the setup instead of taking turns. That way you get a more Collabs kind of workflow.
    2x A. Audio HTD 4.5 | Sony MDR 7506 | Xone:4D | Sony Vaio E i7 | 2x KRK 8 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Launchpad | NI Maschine | NI Komplete 8 | Ableton Live 9

You cold route one headphone setup from the A8 and one from the mixer?
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

I went B2B with one of my friends a while back and we used 2 Mixers, an A4 and my Nocturn with my old mixer mapping, allowed for some really creative results!

Tech Mentor

you could get a second sound card to have a head phone cue in there, that way you both will have headphones for cueing. Also one thing me and my buddy use when we go together are midi cables to sync the laptops together to have one as a master which can help too with syncing everything together to keep a mix tight.

[edit: Im stupid]
    Last edited by ToS; 12-13-2011 at 06:15 PM. Reason: epiphany
    Many photons have died to bring you this information.