PA System for DJing and Live Music
    Tech Student

Default PA System for DJing and Live Music

Hi there,

I work at a hostel where they have live music (mostly vocal and acoustic guitars) and also digital djing.

I dj with a Hercules 4-mx, and we are considering buying a Yamaha Stagepas 300 to use for both live music and djing.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/live_...00/?mode=model

Is it a good idea? Too much? Too little if those events are usually for around 40 people if indoors, and 60 outdoors.

My main concern would be the lower frequencies...

Looking forward for your feedback.

Cheers,

Caio

Tech Mentor

Are you looking for active or passive speakers? Active speakers will make your life so much easier if you're going to be lugging them around to gigs. If they're staying in one spot then it shouldn't really matter. By the way, what's your price range?

Tech Student

hey stbanas,

actually the stagepas has a mixer that works as an amplifier for the speakers, and it also has inputs for mics and guitars, so it would work fine for the live music gigs.

I'm thinking mostly about portability and quick setup, as there is 2 main places in the hostel to set them up.

The price range would be around 500 euros, so i thought this setup would fit just fine.

Haven't came up with a more portable and easy way than this, would u have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Tech Mentor

Alright well I took a look at those yamahas and if you're concerned about low frequencies you might not want these. They're only 8-inch woofers so they won't really bump the bass too hard. It looks like a decent set for a small crowd. If you want something with deeper bass go with bigger speakers like 12" or 15" ones. In your price range, I would recommend some behringer b215d's or mackie thump 15A's that are powered and easy to carry around. If you don't mind jumping up a price range I would recommend, mackie srm-350 or srm-450's, electro-voice elx 112p or elx 115p, or jbl eon 515xt's.

I've heard all the speakers I mentioned and can vouch for all of them. The behringers are very good "bang for your buck" speaker. I didn't like the mackie thump's as much because they didn't get very loud, but some say otherwise. I currently own the electro-voice elx112p's and got a good deal on them on ebay. They're very loud, don't have any line noise coming out when they're cranked up, and have good clarity.

Also if you have a chance try going to an audio shop and listening to different speakers, it'll help you get a feel for what you need.

For the most part, the more you spend, the more you get.

I picked up a single mackie thump 12" and I've been very happy with it for small house parties and portability. I'm sure the 15" would do well too. For the money I think that its a great deal.

I agree that the behringers are probably something you should look into as well.

The Mackie thump only has a line input so if you go this route and need a mic input or additional lines, pair it with an inexpensive mixer like a behringer xenyx 1002.