Performing Live With Ableton Live
    Tech Guru

Default Performing Live With Ableton Live

So i recently started getting into the idea of playing "live" instead of just djing persay and im looking for some controllers that would be ideal for this style...

i already used a apc40 in class and im not really feeling the layout of it some may love it but i honestly dont like the overall mapping to it

right now im looking at a EVOLUTION U-Control UC-33..any other controllers that would seem right to fit in there?
    Macbook Pro 13" | XONE 92 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Audio 8 | (2) NI Kontrol X1 | Technics SL-1210 MK2 | Juno 106 | Adam A7x | BOSS DD7 | Soundbite XL Looper | +more

soundcloud.com/kevinsantos @kevinsantosdj

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Vestax VCM-600 would be the choice for me if you don't quite like the APC's layout, much more "DJ like" with all your eq's per channel (as I like them).

Really not into the UC-33 some people swear by them, but I think its a major step down from the APC in both build quality and layout by a longshot.

You can always remap the APC to suit better the default mapping is too "studio" IMHO?

My "live" template is listed in this tread, which has most of the "dangerous" stuff taken out and replaced with sensible stuff e.g. stop button next to the x-fader (WTF!).... might give you some ideas anyhow.

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29570
    Last edited by deevey; 12-13-2011 at 10:10 PM.

Tech Guru

thanks for the overall feedback i was looking at the vci but for me i feel like that will probably be the controller i get once im like "damn this live this is dope and i need more control over everything" right now its more of an experimental thing & portability so i feel the UC 33 would fit more into my price range as well as good to experiment for now & portability. The thing i didnt like about the apc was that sometimes i would be using an effect and went back to reset it and bamn i was already touching an effect in a different track im more of a traditional style person so i want that knob to do that function and only that function unless i hold a shift button hahah but on the other hand your mapping is pretty fuckin dope and im probably gunna download it and try it out

once again thank you for the feedback thoo
    Macbook Pro 13" | XONE 92 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Audio 8 | (2) NI Kontrol X1 | Technics SL-1210 MK2 | Juno 106 | Adam A7x | BOSS DD7 | Soundbite XL Looper | +more

The thing i didnt like about the apc was that sometimes i would be using an effect and went back to reset it and bamn i was already touching an effect in a different track
    I Hear ya, its one of the reasons I only use one FX rack per channel and separate the eq's. I would so so like e.q. tracks to be per channel too though (within ableton too mind you!).

Actually probably the ideal for me would be something like this to keep everything more on a "deck" level.

Behringer BCR/BCF combo might be a way to go as well for ya ?

Are you planing on keeping the rest of your gear in your sig ? APC20+the 2 x'1's would be pretty dope.

Last edited by deevey; 12-14-2011 at 05:38 AM.

Tech Convert

I feel your pain on the APC40. Love the grid for launching clips, but the knobs are so easy to forget about..

Before I recommend anything, have you tried using "macro controls"? I was pretty lost until I just created a few macro controls which work a whole lot better than MIDI assigning certain functions on an effect.

You can also create "super knobs" by assigning multiple controls to the same macro, but I'm not sure what you've tried yet! Just a suggestion..

Are you looking for something to compliment or replace the APC40? I use a Xone:1D in my setup and I love it because it comes with knobs, encoders, huge array of buttons, faders, and a jogwheel to top it all off for a little more than what a kontrol X1 would be. If you need a great soundcard, the Xone:2D comes with a large soundcard that supports 4 outputs, and I believe 4 inputs with a MIC input as well..

Deadmau5 used a Xone:3D with Ableton for a bit. Skrillex uses a "Trigger Finger" I think, but he uses it's array of knobs to control effects and maybe launch clips. That at least proves you can pull off a set with one. I don't think they're that expensive, either..

I find ableton is more dependent on knobs than any other control device, so maybe the BCR2000 would be a good addition since it comes with so many?

If you want something a little more like a standard deck, Vestax would be great!

Figure out what you're having problems with and how you'd like to fix it (knobs, encoders, etc..) and that would definitely help, but it looks like you've already done that to a certain extent! ;D Would probably be the best thing to do. Good luck!
    Last edited by dirtystripes; 12-15-2011 at 03:28 AM.
    Stay Dirty. - dirtystripes.com
    Twitter: @dirtystripes
    facebook.com/djdirtystripes
    mixcloud.com/dirtystripes

TBH I might shell out for 2 A&H K2's + 4ch mixer when they get released.. the built in sound card = bonus much,like they will be bloody awesome for Ableton control.
    And could run it like a 4 deck + mixer layout with better ergonomics than the APC.

Completely forgot about them when I replied

Tech Convert

Very true! People have been posting about the K2s but I've been happy with my 1Ds/3D. Seems as though the A&H controllers are more suited to Ableton than other DJ software, but it's all about personal tastes!

..I am slightly jealous of the new gear you're getting though.. whatever you end up getting. It's so hard not to get GAS with all the new products coming out!
    Stay Dirty. - dirtystripes.com
    Twitter: @dirtystripes
    facebook.com/djdirtystripes
    mixcloud.com/dirtystripes

I say if you want to just try out DJ'ing and production im using a Novation Launchpad and a Nocturn and it gets everything done pretty well and wasnt hard on the wallet.

Tech Guru

I think APC40 and a K2 will be my ableton 'live' setup...Unless if i don't get sick of unplugging my audio kontrol 1 everytime I have to go out for a gig....the k2 just seems like such a smart idea.

I mean even if I wanted to do a small house party and not risk gear getting spilt on all that I would need is my laptop and the k2 with traktor.

Tech Guru

right now im definitely getting the uc 33 and using my kontrol x1s for now but then im looking to see the feedback on the K2s or getting a livid block control surface

and adding a 32 key arturia analog