Any advice for making the jump to paid gigs for a 19 year old DJ/producer?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Any advice for making the jump to paid gigs for a 19 year old DJ/producer?

(Sorry if this is in the wrong forum section.)

I've been DJing parties since my sophomore year of college (2 years now, with 9 years of training in jazz drums and classical percussion), and I've gotten to a point where I'm ready to play paid DJ gigs (I have promoters, a decent following, etc). Assuming I've reached that skill level, what would be some good first steps in getting paid gigs?

The main problem I've encountered has been my age severely limiting my reach (Brooklyn and Manhattan don't have very many 18+ venues that I would have access to DJing at, and the majority of people that come out to my shows are between 19 and 21)

Oh, and if it's any difference, I have my own sound system (pair of Alto TS112As and a behringer B1800x pro). Should I just organize my own events? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks for taking the time to read this
    Last edited by FroZack; 12-14-2011 at 06:10 AM.

Take your best recorded sets, and start passing them out. Hold off on dropping "your" tracks, save those for when you have gigs, but get your name out to the bars. There are threads here about putting together "press packs" (? Wrong term?) If you are good, your mixing should sell you just fine
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Take your best recorded sets, and start passing them out. Hold off on dropping "your" tracks, save those for when you have gigs, but get your name out to the bars. There are threads here about putting together "press packs" (? Wrong term?) If you are good, your mixing should sell you just fine
    Thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated

No problem bro. Promoters want you to fill clubs. If you have that following, show it off. They don't want an amazing DJ that just shows up and plays for who is there, they want a DJ who brings a crowd.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    No problem bro. Promoters want you to fill clubs. If you have that following, show it off. They don't want an amazing DJ that just shows up and plays for who is there, they want a DJ who brings a crowd.
    Actually, that's a little backwards, but really depends on the situation. In your average run of the mill places, yes... the promoter usually lay part of their own responsibility on the DJ. In places that run a tight ship, the venue owners hire promoters to do what promoters do... get the people there by selling them on what will be an awesome party. The DJ's job is to keep them there.

As for the OP... network network network. It's all about getting to know the right people. Remember, it really doesn't matter how good you are at first... To get going, 90% of the time, it's all politics and schmoozing. Talent only cracks the door open. Charisma then takes that cracked open door and smashes it open with a sledge hammer.

Tech Mentor

I think an important question here too is, do you always want to be just a local dj or even regional guy who has to hustle and beg for gigs and deal with all that nonsense, or do you want to be a sought after big name where people come looking for YOU? If the answer is B, you need to produce. Simple. The days of any Top 100 "dj" not being a producer are long gone. (note, this excludes turntablists probably.)
    Kontrol S4 | Novation Remote 25SL Mk.I | Macbook Pro | Shure SRH750DJ
    Soundcloud | Facebook | iTunes Podcast

Default Any advice for making the jump to paid gigs for a 19 year old DJ/producer?

Start and 18+ night in your area. If you have the following and promotion down you should be fine.

Tech Convert

Thanks everyone! I've been following all the advice posted here and things are looking up. Last show had 70 people, Djd for 6 hours straight, got paid, and now I'm booked for two large shows in the area. Definitely feeling the stoke

edit: By large I just mean 200-400 people by the way. I suppose most of you would consider that an average crowd
    Last edited by FroZack; 01-05-2012 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FroZack View Post
    (Sorry if this is in the wrong forum section.)

I've been DJing parties since my sophomore year of college (2 years now, with 9 years of training in jazz drums and classical percussion), and I've gotten to a point where I'm ready to play paid DJ gigs (I have promoters, a decent following, etc). Assuming I've reached that skill level, what would be some good first steps in getting paid gigs?

The main problem I've encountered has been my age severely limiting my reach (Brooklyn and Manhattan don't have very many 18+ venues that I would have access to DJing at, and the majority of people that come out to my shows are between 19 and 21)

Oh, and if it's any difference, I have my own sound system (pair of Alto TS112As and a behringer B1800x pro). Should I just organize my own events? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks for taking the time to read this

Record some mixes and put them on CD's. IF i were you i'd do any type of parties such as quinces, etc. Those are good pay. Also i used to live in Manhattan and ik what you mean about 18+. Just maybe even find some teen events. Thats what I'm doing -.- lol. Im only 15 bro and i get paid already. kids my age are ridiculous and just give you 400$ for 4 hours. (spoiled kids lmao!) but yeah also if you want just host some of your events. that might work. post mixes everyone. spam people on Facebook! lmao.

Quote Originally Posted by EchePalante View Post
    Im only 15 bro
    no matter how odd that is to read, i have respect for that. most people, both IRL and on this forum, would laugh at you at that age. Massive respect for already advancing at that age.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast