YOU'RE opening for a big DJ. What do you play?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default YOU'RE opening for a big DJ. What do you play?

Random hypothetical question. Let's say you have the opportunity to open up for someone like DJ Chuckie, Aftojack, Hardwell, Avicii, Steve Aoki ect ect ect. What kind of music would you play?

The reason I ask is because I'm an open format Dj but there may be a time soon where I get to open up a big show. Now if I opened up for an open format Dj I know to start off at RnB and hip hop and work my way up tempo, no problem. But I'm not sure how to "open" for a big house or Dubstep guy/girl.

So if you had 2 1/2 hours to open before a heavy hitter what kind of music would YOU play?

Thanks!

I'd probably start with Trip Hop, then move to Indie Dance, then funky house. With 45 minutes left I would start bringing the tempo up with some older Electro.
    BCF 2000
    Traktor Pro 2
    Kontrol X1

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by bmar222 View Post
    But I'm not sure how to "open" for a big house or Dubstep guy/girl.

So if you had 2 1/2 hours to open before a heavy hitter what kind of music would YOU play?

Thanks!
    I would start off with minimal house/deep hard dubstep. Ie. UK produced stuff such as Depone, Skream, Benga. Set the mood. I would also ask some what the other DJ intented to play, making sure there was no crossover.

Once you get people dancing, keep them there, but not by playing serious floor rockers, thats for the main DJ. It's my job to set the scene, not to rock the house.

Tech Mentor

Pink flute

ALL of your performers tracks, if you run out play them again

JK, if it was afrojack, try not to play anything that he has remixed (as far as you,wiki and google know)

He plays hard hitting dutch house and obviously his remixes of house and top40 songs, so i would use things along the lines of dancy progressive, electro, commercial remixes etc
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Well if I was opening up for an Electro House DJ, I certainly will not be playing hip hop. That will not be the crowd for it.

I would play same genre.
    If you are opening for Afrojack, don't play his songs, cause 99% chance he will play it.
    Try to stay away from the "hits", you are there for warm up not headline.
    Think of it this way, in your own sets, do you play all the bangers in the first hour or two???
    1 Denon DNX1600, 2 Technics SL1200MKII, 1 Pioneer DDJ SX, 1 Reloop Terminal Mix2, 1 MBP running VDJ/Traktor/Serato SL/DJ
    Soundcloud
    Vimeo
    Facebook

Tech Wizard

your job is to open. play stuff that's genre-appropriate, build the energy in the crowd, but do not play giant anthems/bangers/anything the artist has made or remixed. your main job is to not look like an upstaging jerk. if you do this job well, you'll be asked back a lot more than if you do the opposite.
    Mod Club Saturdays Resident, Toronto
    MBP * Traktor Kontrol S4 * Midi Fighter Classic * Traktor 2 * Ableton * Launchpad
    facebook

Glitch/Trip Hop with some slow dub samples, like everyone else said build up the tempo get everyone dancin and let them get the feel of things, drop a track or two you really jam and then step aside for your headliner

Tech Convert

tech house / minimal to start

eventually some more progressive type stuff that headliner will definitely not be playing and that aren't huge hits but are relatively familiar to people

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodless View Post
    ALL of your performers tracks, if you run out play them again

JK, if it was afrojack, try not to play anything that he has remixed (as far as you,wiki and google know)
    I must be missing something, why would you not want to play one of the headliners tracks? Provided their not going to play it in their set, i would think it'd be flattering.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast